RSS Feed for this Blog
RSS Feed for all TBA Posts

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Rocktober

This month rocks. Not just 'cause my Scorpio vibes are movin' and shakin'. We're talking Breeders' Cup prep races, college and pro football season rocking, playoff baseball jamming, the start of hockey season (we do actually have a team here), tailgating extraordinairre, and the President's Cup golf (U-S-A) to name a few things have my attention this month. It also marks the three quarter pole of the calendar year. I thought I'd check back at my wishing well from the start of the year and see how I'm doing with some of the things I wished for in December for 2009 (well we'll look at 9 of 10 anyways):


1. NY regulators take a page out of Tampa Bay Downs steward’s rulings and reports to provide the horseplayer and fans more information on inquiries and decisions.

This wish didn't quite come true during the first nine months of 2009 and I'm not holding my breath. (0 for 1)

2. A Kentucky horse-related trip in October for my birthday.

A very fun trip in April after tax season where we pulled off the Keeneland-Churchill double makes me pass wish #2. (1 for 2)

3. Spend some quality time at the Lothlorien Therapeutic Riding Center in nearby East Aurora.

Whoops, we haven't got out there yet, but there's still a few months left. The Space Clan did visit Old Friends during out Ky trip so we'll claim a 1/2 point here. (1 1/2 out of 3)

4. Buy into a horse partnership.

I invested in a small share of the recently deceased Higher Authority. While it wasn't the best first foray into ownership, I was informed at all times and will definitely consider investing in racing partnerships in the future. (2 1/2 out of 4)

5. Reevaluate where my investing strengths lie and try not to stray from them (i.e. exactas good; $0.10 superfectas bad).

About a third of my bets have been exactas and I've started to play more P3's and P4's. Out of my 646 wagers YTD, I've only made 8 superfecta plays. I'd say I've stayed with my strategy. My best ROI is W/P which I found interesting. I need to review this more often to see what's working. (3 1/2 out of 5)

6. A first time trip to the Big A, during the winter meet.

This is one I'd like to make happen, but it's probably doubtful due to my job heating up in the winter months. Not that I can't plan a business trip to the Big Apple.... (3 1/2 out of 6)

7. Attend my fourth Belmont Stakes in a row and actually see a triple crown coronation.

We can claim a 1/2 point here as we were fortunate enough to make it to see Summer Bird take the third leg of the triple crown. Part II will have to remain on the wish list. (4 out of 7)

8. Fort Erie Race Track is not closed forever. (I was just gettin’ to know ya.)

The track reopened (yay) but I've only had a chance to get over the border twice this summer and plan on getting over once more for my annual birthday at the track. (5 out of 8)

9. A visit to Woodbine for the Queen’s Plate to meet Triple Dead Heat, and continue my quest for a Canadian personal triple crown.

Scheduling issues (translation: trip to visit Space Gal's family) caused me to have to pass on this one, but it will move up the list. Will be working on a 1/2 point here as my current plans are to spend the day of the Bills-Jets Thursday night game in Toronto at WO and then head downtown to the SkyDome (Rogers Centre, whatever)..... (5 out of 9)

So we're batting .555 and we have a shot for another 1 1/2 points (AQU/WO).....not bad for a wish list, eh?

Really looking forward to the KEE fall meet, especially the $0.50 Pick Fours, which I believe have a pretty low takeout (19%). Looking forward to seeing Capt. Candyman Can in the Phoenix S. (G3) and Forever Together in the First Lady S. (G1) over the weekend. OSA has some great racing this weekend also, one allowance race that has caught my eye and has me excited has Mast Track and Space Man fave, The Bad Cat (El Gato Malo), both who may point to the Dirt Mile based on the results of this one. Speaking of the Dirt Mile, a new NTRA post has just gone up highlighting a potpourri of racing affecting the division this weekend.

0 Comments:

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online