RSS Feed for this Blog
RSS Feed for all TBA Posts

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Travers Day 2011: The Day in Pictures

The 142nd running of the Travers Stakes gave us all we could ask for with the gritty Stay Thirsty taking the laurels and reins of the 3-year-old division.

He thumped the Preakness, Belmont and Haskell winners in fine fashion under jockey Javier Castellano, who gave him a perfect ride.

The undercard was filled with excellent efforts, notably the 2-year old colt, Fire On Ice who scored an impressive victory in a maiden special weight, reminiscent of a colt who broke his maiden a year earlier who happened to be returning in the King's Bishop off a long layoff.

My three singles of the day, Good Prospect (4th), Fizzano (7th) and Cincinnati Kid (13th) kept me out of trouble at the windows, which enabled me to go deep in a Pick-3 with Hot Summer in the Victory Ride anchoring a nice payday. My Pick-4 blew up however when I tried to beat Hilda's Passion in the Ballerina, which proved to be not a good move.

I took my father for the second consecutive Travers and we had a fun day in the backyard with the Vattimo crew and later at Prime with the Saratoga Resident, the Puma and the Twins. Prime is a tremendous venue to hang out after the races and I'll be back to tackle the golf course at National on Thursday.

Oh, I had to work also, you can find my post-race commentary for The Buffalo News here.

The Toga Party contest has tightened.up and the Space Gal has evened up with yours truly at the top of the leaderboard as she was the only contestant out of 19 to select Stay Thirsty. dana from Hello Race Fans captured a couple points with Caleb's Posse and the $2 trifecta to get back into the hunt. It still is anybody's ball game.

Here's our day in pictures....

Steven Crist and Andy Serling Talkin' Horses 

Miss Netta scores with Rajiv Maragh up

Kieran McLaughlin had a big day

Daveron wins the Grade 2 Ballston Spa

Eddie Castro, Graham Motion
win for Team Valor

Near the top of the stretch in
the Victory Ride, where's Hot Summer?
Answer: On her way.

Uncle Mo in the paddock

Why is this guy always taking my picture?

Caleb's Posse heads to the track

Uncle Mo ready to return to the races

Photo Finish in the King's Bishop!

The Toddster and a dejected Johnny V

Rajiv Maragh and Caleb's Posse, the
2011 King's Bishop champ

Mike Battaglia from NBC
interviews Bob Baffert

Kelly Breen with Belmont champ
Ruler On Ice

Huddle Up....go down to the Chevy and
cut across the middle

Rattlesnake Bridge, Travers runnerup

Martin Garcia and Haskell champ Coil

The Baffert

Show horse JW Blue (32-1)

Preakness champ Shackleford

By the Grandstand for the first time in the Travers

Stay Thirsty heads for the wire

Hug it out, bro

The Travers champ gets the sponge

Javy closes in on Johnny V with his 44th win of the meet

The Goods

A great day was had by all....hope you enjoyed the pics.

7 Comments:

Amateurcapper said...

Geno,

Thanks for the pictures and great P3 hit.

I'm sooo jealous. Silver lining...the family watched the King's Bishop and Travers w/ me...the wife suggested a trip to NY including Saratoga!!!

See you next year (I hope)!!!

Gene Kershner said...

Rob,

Thanks for reading and commenting.

Book that trip now!! Look forward to meeting you...I will most likely be at BC12 at SA...God willing.

You'll have to take the wife to Finger Lakes wine country or the Adirondacks/Lake George...NY has a lot to offer in the summer...not to mention the Big Apple.

Geno

Marty said...

Geno,

Great pictures. I was in saratoga last week pre travers. Truly a beautiful place. I'm going to try one more time this week. Saratoga is just a little too far from Boston for a day trip.

Gene Kershner said...

Marty,

I'll be at the Paddock Bar most of Wednesday...look me up/email me.

Thanks for reading and commenting!

Nanette said...

This one was my first and I couldn't have picked a better day -- the whole card was great! I didn't make the drive in sub-four, or even five from Clarence, and the ride home on Sunday was not fun -- but it was so worth it!
Keep up the good work, Geno! It's great to enjoy you in the News, too!

Gene Kershner said...

Hey Nanette! I sure wish I knew you were there, I would have loved to have met you! Next time, please drop me a line on FB or via email ahead of time.

It was a great day and glad you made it back to our side of the State safely!

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

Tony Bada Bing said...

Good times. Just couldn't get back to the Spa this year - thanks for bringing me there with the pics. Great picking too. I had Stay Thirsty and JW Blue in an exacta box - which paid me nada.

Glad to see I'm finally off the snide in the Toga Contest, but I don't see gaining any ground on you or the SpaceGal.

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online