RSS Feed for this Blog
RSS Feed for all TBA Posts

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Black Eyed Susan Day

It's the annual edition and rollout of our Susan Dey pic. I know, it's my inner 12 year old surfacing, but it always makes me laugh.

Getting ready to load the Space Shuttle on Saturday morning for my initial trek to Pimlico on a race day. I actually have been there before, 4 years ago, while visiting my cousin, spending an afternoon doing the simulcast thing at Old Hilltop. Noting the neighborhood on the drive in that day, needless to say I left a little early before the Belmont card was over to be sure to get back to civilization before dark. I'm going to give public transportation a shot (light rail from the airport to shuttle bus to Pimlico) to avoid any parking, driving or general intoxication issues. If anyone has any tips feel free to leave a comment.

Speaking of Black Eyed Susan Day, I wish I could have made it in early to see my pal Alan H, who noted to me yesterday it would be the fourth track we've met up at (we've already completed the NYRA trifecta), will have to get him to come east to do the Canadian double (Woodbine and Ft. Erie) one of these days.

Back here in the Empire State, the New York State Thoroughbred Breeding and Development Fund lost a good man this week as its Executive Director, Martin Kinsella resigned and the Board hired a TV reporter to fill the role he served for over ten years. That's Albany for ya. I've known him for several years and he knows his stuff and was a veteran executive who survived numerous administrations and is a top notch horse guy.

The Space Gal's gramma discreetly slipped me a twenty last weekend to place a Preakness bet for her. After surviving the pressure of giving her my Derby selection to win her nursing home pool, now I'm playing with her real money. Oi vey. She's called me every night this week to get my insight and tell me what she's read about the race. High comedy. Even Gertrude (fake name), her know-it-all nemesis, is asking her who I like. Make one lucky pick and everyone thinks you're an expert.

I briefly looked at the Black Eyed Susan this afternoon (first checking to make sure David Cassidy didn't have a horse in) and am favoring Harissa (5-1) for the win with Tyler Baze shipping in from the west coast. She handled the dirt in her first try at Sunland Park in March and has faced some decent competition (Evening Jewel, Crisp, Smart Seattle) so I'm looking for a big effort by the Afleet Alex filly on the Pimlico surface. I think she will hold off a heavily bet Tidal Pool (8/5 favorite), while Cindy Jones' No Such Word (7-2) and Ian Wilkes' Diva Delite (8-1) will round out the bottom half of the exotics. If the track comes up wet, I'll move Diva up a few notches. No Such Word has faced some decent competition in Blind Luck and shows a decent workout. Diva Delite has won her last 5 dirt races at Tampa and Calder before finishing 3rd to Fanny Freud in the Beaumont at KEE last month. If you like closers and you think someone will challenge Tidal to a hot pace, Seeking the Title (5-1) and Kent Desormeaux should be flying late (check out her running lines).

Enjoy Friday's BES Day and we'll have a Preakness post up tomorrow....

4 Comments:

Alan H. said...

It looks like my plans are going to be scrapped. 101 degree fever and sick as a dog (no offense to TJ). I'm now pointing to Maryland Million Day in October at Laurel.

The_Knight_Sky said...

It's good to keep in touch with your inner 12 year old - just don't give him $20 bucks to chug-a-lug.

That was actually a good tune.
Knocked the Beatles' Let It Be off #1 on the Billboard charts.

Enjoy your day off from working at Spacely Sprockets. :D

Anonymous said...

The Partridge Family and horse racing, that's a winner as far as I'm concerned! (:

tencentcielo said...

Harissa will win the Black-eyed Susan the same way Endorsement would have won the Derby. (sigh)

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online