Wednesday, December 23, 2009
Since it's December 23rd, what could be a better way to celebrate this year's racing calendar, but with a touch of Festivus. As you know, Festivus comes but once a year and features such things as "Feats of Strength" and the "Airing of Grievances." I couldn't think of a better year to highlight some Festivus memories and thoughts when it comes to Racing 2009.
"Feats of Strength"
- The Ladies Raise the Roof. Can you think of two races wherein the roofs came off their respective homes, than Rachel Alexandra's Woodward at the Old Spa or Zenyatta's magnificent stretch run in becoming the first equine female to win the Breeders' Cup Classic? Nope, neither can I.
- Bird is the Word. Any other year and Summer Bird is being mentioned in Horse of the Year. Winning the Belmont, Travers and Jockey Club Gold Cup were truly feats of strength. And let's not forget the little engine that could. "Who is that horse coming up the rail?" was heard in more than one living room on the First Saturday in May.
- Wood-tastic. I Want Revenge's performance in the Wood Memorial at the Big A in April was truly a feat of strength. After overcoming an awful gate stumble, IWR made up some serious lost ground with a furious close. One of the year's better races.
- Four in a Row. If winning four (count 'em) straight Grade I turf races isn't a feat of strength, than I'm Kobe Bryant (news flash: I'm not.) Gio Ponti served notice on the racing public that he is for reals after his fourth consecutive win in the Arlington Million in August.
Ok, so those are my feats of strength.....but I'm sure this is what you can't wait for...
"The Airing of Grievances"
- Jerry Hollendorfer. One of my brethren (blogger and beancounter) lights up the Tote Board on J-Holl. This one is simply: Game. Set. Match. Speaking of tote boards.....
- NYRA. Let's hope Santa brings some light bulbs to NYRA on Friday, as well as a copy of the American Racing Manual, so we can get Go For Wand's name right on the 2010 banner....
- Transparency in the Stewards' Booth. Yeah, you've heard me beat this drum before. I'm not stoppin any time soon. Take a page from our counterparts overseas and publish the stewards' reports and announce to the fans the results of inquiries.
- HANA Pool Party. Did they let the water out of the pool? Show us some results from the reverse-boycott. Did it work? I jumped in the pools and posted on my sidebar....but what say you, masters of the low takeout?
- NTRA blog comments. Welcome to the 21st century, it should take only a few minutes to moderate blog comments and have them show up. This turns off readers and bloggers alike. It's not that difficult (this grievance was brought to you by a non-techy).
- Aqueduct VLT contract. I Heart NY.
If you have any of your own grievances to air, today is the day, so giddy up and leave them in the comments. Thank goodness, that Santa Anita opens on Saturday so I can finally get my fix and wager on horse racing from the Great Race Place as my post-Festivus celebration continues.