RSS Feed for this Blog
RSS Feed for all TBA Posts

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Ch-Ch-Ch Changes

So I was sitting by my computer today minding my own business trying to figure out what kind of tasty treat to give to my trusty dog, Tanner Jones, to celebrate his 2yo season tonight when the Saratoga Resident popped into my mailbox with a juicy link. If you read this blog, you know I "gots a thing" for (some will say bastardizing the English language) the stewards not reporting their rulings to the crowd when an inquiry is made after a race. I posted last year on the topic and the Toga Resident and I have gone back and forth on this issue in the past. I think he came over to the good guys side this past summer when experiencing some of my pain when a ruling cost him back to back monster payouts at the Spa. Anyways, Peter King's article today in SI.com noted the following analogous type situation in the NFL:

"It must drive NFL people crazy to hear Ed Hochuli go on those long, explanatory riffs when he's got his mike open. But I love it. Mike Pereira can't make stolid refs have Hochuli's personality, and he shouldn't try. But his explanations should be textbook for all officials in college and pro football. Fans deserve to hear exactly why something has happened." (I also like Kissing Suzy Kolber's spoof of his weekly column, but i digress).

Exactly. Fans and bettors deserve to hear exactly why a steward's decision is upheld or overturned. Is it so hard to give us a thirty second overview of what they saw, what they decided and what it was based upon? I think not. What's it going to take? Why isn't there more talk about this?

Now, if only we could change the BCS system.....

7 Comments:

SaratogaSpa said...

Better Yet--Did you see the 60 minutes interview with the ex-NBA referee. If only 20% of what he said about other referees influencing the outcome of games through deliberate foul/non foul calls is true we are in trouble.

The_Knight_Sky said...

I've always felt the stewards need to get in front of the mini-cam
and explain their rationale for any decision. This includes disputed photo finishes. Not doing so leaves the customers befuddled.

In a recent poll about the photo finish at Hollywood Park's nightcap we had 2 out of 3 fans disagreeing with that posted photo finish.

Hope you don't mind me posting that the link here.
Happy Holidays !

http://theknightskyracing.blogspot.com/2009/11/photo-finish-you-make-call.html

Steve Munday said...

I agree!! More transparency is needed in racing and steward's inquiries are a great place to start. I like the NFL example as it's the only sport I can think of off the top of my head where officials (Ed H. anyway) actually explain rulings to the spectators.

Let me see: MLB? nope. NHL? nope. NBA? nope.

SaratogaSpa: Looks to me like the chickens are coming home to roost for the NBA. Donaghy confirmed what others had suspected for years. Games were "fixed" for the sake of TV ratings.

Gene Kershner said...

SS: Missed it cuz I was watching the end of the Giants game...and totally forgot it was on..ugh.

TKS: Very interesting...no problem about the link! Appreciate your sidebar link at your site...have returned the favor..

Steve: Can't see how it would be that difficult to let us know what the thought process/decision was based on.

Thanks all for reading!

T. N. Trosin said...

Though I am not certain weather or not they still do it; when I was working at Los Alamitos, Ed Burgart the track announcer, would state the stewards ruling over a replay of the race, pointing out where the infraction took place in the stewards opinion.

Just saying.

P.S. After the 60 Minutes interview of Tim Donaghy, I am more convinced than ever that the NBA is slightly one step over professional wrestling.

frank mitchell said...

Racing would be ahead of the curve ... as you have proven ... if it explained stewards' rulings. Such a practice would also encourage stewards to think through their decisions even more carefully, which couldn't hurt either.

Steve Munday said...

Ever get the feeling Hochuli's mugging for the camera so he can flash the pipes?

That part will be hard for most stewards to emulate.

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online