RSS Feed for this Blog
RSS Feed for all TBA Posts

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Nothing better than Chocolate on V-Day

I have the best wife ever. She knows the way to my heart....she gave me the commemorative Kentucky Derby 135 glasses (see inset) and this year's super cool Kentucky Festival poster for the big day this year. Add in a little April trip to Keeneland after tax season and wah-lah...wife of the year honors are hers.

How good is it that EquiSpace R2R stable homeboy Chocolate Candy wins on Valentine's Day at Golden Gate Fields in the El Camino (G3) at 9 furlongs! He's a son of Candy Ride out of Seattle Slew mare Crownette who padded his graded stakes earnings in his shot at a starting gate on the First Saturday in May. I've had the watch on him ever since his 3rd place showing in the Cash Call Futurity at Hollywood where he closed late after being four wide on the turn to finish only 1 1/2 lengths behind Pioneerof the Nile and 1/2 length behind I Want Revenge. The last time a Derby threat emerged from this race was 1996 winner Cavonnier, who finished second in that year's Derby to Grindstone. Of course, Candy's future odds have dipped to 28-1, wherein they were north of 50-1 yesterday.

Speaking of futures, we'll take a look later this afternoon before 6pm to see if anything whets my taste. It's probably too early and risky at this juncture, but a couple $2 fliers may be in order. Big Drama, Candy and West Side Bernie are sentimental picks that if they stay upwards to 40-1 or so, it may be worth a shot.

Only watched three races live yesterday due to work and visiting in-laws, but was able to see the Sam F. Davis and watched by Public Handicapper selection AP Cardinal go out in fast fractions only to back up in the stretch. Ugh. It was one of those races I wished I had watched some earlier races, as they showed General Quarters last two races on TVG, both my father-in-law and I both said, wow that horse was closing fast at a shorter distance. Sometimes it pays to do your homework. I liked Cardinal's pedigree and the way he looked to be moving forward in his training. Oh well, he's not the first AP colt that's burned me.

Took a tough beat in the Hallandale Beach with Lime Rickey, who was closing fast but ran out of track. Lastly my Santa Maria Handicap selection Visit finished sixth as the favorite. She had never run on the fake stuff (rookie mistake), I was a little too trusting in Frankel's instincts, although Gomez looked to get boxed in and couldn't rally from the back of the pack.

Today it's off to frame shop to pick up a copy of the super cool lifesize poster collage of Curlin, sent to me by big Curlin Libby, who presented a similar copy to the Jacksons. It includes two blog posts, one by Kevin of Aspiring Horseplayer and yours truly, numerous action pictures of Curlin, tons of fans signatures and notes from Curlin fans. I have a special spot for it on the wall in my office that's been bare for a couple weeks....thanks again Libby for including me in that special tribute.

2 Comments:

3:59 said...

Kudos to Spacegal for the thought. But souvenir glasses from a triple crown event you're not attending! Surely that breaks some sort or rule somewhere.

The Turk said...

Great gift. You two are very cute! I hope everything is well with the baby.

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online