RSS Feed for this Blog
RSS Feed for all TBA Posts

Friday, February 27, 2009

Bobby Unser gets it..

"Success is where preparation and opportunity meet."
~ 3 time Indy 500 winner Bobby Unser

It's the first really big weekend of Kentucky Derby preps and it's time to start separating the haves with the have nots.

I've been staying away from the handicapping in the blog (mainly cuz I'm mediocre at best) but I decided to jump back in this weekend with both feet. My horseplaying has been relegated to Sunday afternoon on Aqueduct since tax season started so it's time to start sharpening the pencil again.

The Fountain of Youth (G2) at Gulfstream tomorrow is big puzzle. There's all kinds of talent in this one. The race has been shortened this year to a mile, but nonetheless has attracted a number of Derby hopefuls. The four horses I like the best in this one are all stuck in the outer posts, which we all know is the kiss of death at GP, unless you're Big Brown. I'm going to stay away from the favorite in post 12 This One's For Phil, who had the freakish Beyer figure last time out. I like the undefeated Taqarub (can't believe I didn't put this one in my RtR stable) with the Garcia/McLaughlin connection in his first route race. I will be keyboxing him with Break Water Edison, Capt. Candyman Can, and Quality Road in an exacta play. BWE has run against some excellent competition and I'm looking for him to return to the form he showed at the Big A in November. I think Quality Road will stretch out nicely and is first time lasix with Johnny V in the irons. Capt. Candyman Can (5-1) will probably get bet down below his morning line, but should hit the board.

The Sham is being run at Santa Anita and the Big Grapefruit is the 9-5 morning line favorite. I'm taking a stand against The P in this one and going with Pletcher's shipper Take the Points who draws Gomez for the mount for the first time. He passed going on the dirt to run on the synth at SA..i know, i know...stay away, stay far away! But Pletcher knows what he's doing so he must know something about this horse....I'll box a tri also with Mr. Hot Stuff and the first two in case the Big P thwarts my thought process.

Interesting that Dick Powell has jumped on the Dunkirk bandwagon. He knows his stuff so maybe we need to keep a close eye on this one. I'm not there yet, let's see him against some true competition, but as Mr. Unser says...opportunity is also an ingredient for success.

Enjoy the races...and please take a minute and vote on the best handicapping book on the sidebar, it's neck and neck right now...thanks to all who have participated thus far...

2 Comments:

Wind Gatherer said...

"A superior pilot is one who uses superior judgment to avoid situations that require the use of superior skill"

Has nothing to do with anything but there you go.

Gene Kershner said...

Windy: "If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving"

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online