RSS Feed for this Blog
RSS Feed for all TBA Posts

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Tale of Ekati to the Rescue

I agree with commenter and handicapping pal JB who thinks Tale of Ekati is sitting on a big race today in the $500K Jim Dandy Stakes (G2) at historic Saratoga Race Course. After suffering a cut caused by Big Brown in the Belmont he faded to sixth in the stretch and was not a factor. Barclay Tagg should have him ready today and with top fan Bo Derek recently being appointed to the California Racing Board and the morning line being 10-1....hmm. Does Bo know horses?


Here she is in the paddock stall (#7) at the Belmont rooting her man on!
Regardless of his entourage, I'm thinking TOE is the value play today at those odds in this key prep race for the $1M Travers Stakes later next month. The other horse that intrigues me today is Tiz Now Tiz Then, the Eoin Harty-trained colt who ran a 1:41 and 3 in the Iowa Derby at a mile and an eighth, better time than any horse at that distance in this race. Underneath I'm thinking Pyro and Mint Lane to round out the first four. It should be a Dandy!
I didn't get to see all of yesterday's big four, but thought Bejarano was the man finding that opening to get Ginger Punch through in the Go For Wand. What a tremendous effort! Once Bustin Stones scratched I changed my $10 Double to Abraaj and hit it to ease the pain inflicted by Forever Together on my Pick 4 selections. Although I didn't play him I was very happy to see one of my favorites and NY-bred Commentator win his second Whitney in four years. I saw him up close at Gulfstream in January where he set a track record and really enjoy watching him race. Based on his last effort in the Met Mile, I thought he would tire in the stretch, but he ended up wiring the field in fine fashion. Good job ole' boy.
I've added the Toga Party! contest standings on the sidebar under Toga Handicapping Contest to view everyone's picks with today's Jim Dandy giving everyone involved a chance at point #2.
Not sure the origination of the Jim Dandy, I'm sure someone will blog about it today, all I can remember is the 45 (rpm) my parents had in the 70's playing "Jim Dandy to the Rescue!" Here are the Black Oak Arkansas playing the song I used to sing while eating Bugles in my underwear...




(Courtesy: myjimdandy - youtube)

Enjoy the day at the Spa.

3 Comments:

Brooklyn Backstretch said...

Jim Dandy is the 100-1 shot that beat Gallant Fox in the 1930 Travers.

Gene Kershner said...

BB, thanks for the info...and for reading.

Anonymous said...

You have absolutely ruined me for bugles.

-Winston

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online