RSS Feed for this Blog
RSS Feed for all TBA Posts

Monday, May 7, 2012

Derby Decompression

We made it back to Buffalo yesterday afternoon, after a pit stop on Saturday night in Columbus, so we've had a full day to decompress and look back at quite a weekend in Louisville.
The shot above was from my spot in the press box capturing the five top finishers as they approaching the wire. In the "punch yourself in the face department," I dropped I'll Have Another from my top four spots after the post draw, which of course, was a colossal mistake. Luckily, I included him in an exacta box, so I at least cashed on the race, just not as big as I could have.

Just eight days ago in my Degrees of Separation post, he was listed as my top horse, and made him No. 2 on my Wireplayers' Derby Dozen list (had Bodemeister No. 1) somewhere between that point and 5:30 p.m. Saturday afternoon, I blew it. I've been reaching to hit the Derby trifecta for four years now without success, hitting two of three spots each time. Oh well, that's why they call it gambling.

I did feel good that I included him in my advance article on Saturday, spending a full paragraph saying he had the pedigree to contest. Post No. 19 and the "Derby Rules" scared me away on Saturday afternoon, however. Of course, he got a perfect trip, but he did it and kudos to the connections. I like the horse a lot, was always a big fan of Flower Alley (my first Travers) so we'll be rooting for him on Preakness Day.

Overall, you can follow how my day unfolded over at the TBN live blog on the Sports, Ink site. I had some pretty good luck throughout the day, hitting two Pick-3's and giving out some horses that fared pretty well. It could have been bigger if Turallure would have won the Woodford, as I did have No. 19 in my Pick-3 into the Derby.

For my post-race article in the TBN, if you didn't catch it, that link can be found here.

I didn't stray too far from the press box on Saturday, other than to buy some horsies for the Space Kid and Space Filly at the Derby store, but did experience the walkover from the barns before the Derby, which was pretty cool. I've included some pictures below which chronicle the walkover. I walked with the two Pletcher horses, Gemologist and El Padrino. Seeing the massive crowd while walking alongside the outside of the track was one of the coolest things I've ever experienced.

Kreskin update: Nailed one of my three predictions in December related to the Triple Crown - that a horse from the outside post would win the Derby. The other two are still alive, but down to two shots: 1) photo finish and 2) female jockey will hit the board in a Triple Crown race, respectively. We'll keep you posted.

Here are some photos from the walkover and before, during and after the big race...

The look from just past the clubhouse turn
on way to the backside
Who's the first horse we run into?
The Derby champ - I'll Have Another
Daddy Knows Best
Steve Asmussen "high-fives"
a fan as he leads out Sabercat & DNB
Hansen
Doc Hansen and...well..um....yeah
Gemologist
Pletcher and crew
Graham Motion
Kenny Rice about to give me
a sideways high-five
Creative Cause
I'll Have Another
The start of "the walkover"
Mr. Bailey, could I see you for a minute?
People taking my picture
Gemologist's hind end, The Toddster &
Donna Barton Brothers
(I know there's a joke in there somewhere)
Almost there...
U of L Band plays "My Old Kentucky Home"
(not a dry eye in sight)
Take Charge Indy
Mike Smith and Bodemeister
Dullahan and Union Rags
Starting the official Post Parade
They're Off in Kentucky Derby 138
Calvary charge to the clubhouse turn
(note I'll Have Another in 7th - big gap)

Heading into the clubhouse turn

Second place finisher Bodemeister post race
He ran a helluva race.
That's a wrap from Louisville....onwards to Baltimore. Hope you enjoyed the pictures.

3 Comments:

Susan said...

Gene,
Great pics of the walkover!

Tony Bada Bing said...

Geno,

Good to see you at the Derby...if it's any consolation - I didn't have I'll Have Another either, but I did have spots 2-5 nailed in superfecta. Just toss the winner I hit...

SaratogaSpa said...

Love the pics Geno...and belated congrats to your admission to the Turf Writers and Broadcasters Assoc.

Not bad for a full time bean counter. !

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online