RSS Feed for this Blog
RSS Feed for all TBA Posts

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Alabama Day

One of my favorite races of the year is the Alabama for 3-year old fillies at historic Saratoga Race Course. Not only did I see Lynryd Skynyrd play Sweet Home Alabama last summer, but I've actually been to Mobile, Alabama. Memories of watching the sunset over the Gulf on an August evening has never escaped me. I wish I could have spent more time there and the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail is supposed to be fabulous....but I digress.

I picked the Kentucky Oaks champ Plum Pretty in my Friday blog at The News and I'm sticking with her, although the People's Choice seems to be St. John's River (who I selected second). It's Tricky has to be respected, but I am actually rooting for Inglorious. I was fortunate to spend some time with her connections at the Plate BBQ up in Toronto in June and Luis Contreras has been en fuego up north. Inglorious has mastered the classic mile and a quarter distance and has beat the boys (even if they are Canadian). I'll probably take a poke at the Late Pick 4 today before heading to my company picnic. In consecutive days last weekend I was ousted in the last leg by a total bomb, that's getting kinda old, isn't it?

I was fortunate to attend three straight Alabama Stakes from 2006-2008 to see Pine Island, Lady Joanne and  Proud Spell win the feature. The duel between Proud Spell and Music Note still goes down as one of my favorite live races I've witnessed in my short span as a horse racing fan.

I've been mostly silent on the Breeders' Cup decision to go back to Santa Anita. I put a rotation plan out there (which I would totally change with what I know today) over at the Blood-horse blog stable in November 2009. At least the post is entertaining, and the comments (61!) were even more entertaining. I'm not a fan of permanent hosting or even a three-track rotation. I would favor more of the main three tracks (CD, BEL, SA) with a fourth track rotated in to spread it around. Santa Anita is beautiful, the Pacific time zones helps push it into prime viewing time in the East, and who doesn't like to go to sunny California. But not as a permanent host, thank you.

If you have a moment take a look at today's article on my sit down with John D. Sabini, the Chairman of the New York State Racing & Wagering Board. He was a great interview and very open on his stance on such things as night racing in New York, the 'less is more' concept, his thoughts on the Western New York track and the racing industry in general.

Have a great Saturday.



1 Comment:

Amateurcapper said...

Geno,

INGLORIOUS for me with a big shot to PLUM PRETTY to turn the tables on IT'S TRICKY and ST. JOHN'S RIVER breathing down their necks late.

Have a great day.

P.S. I wouldn't mind Santa Anita as a permanent site ;-)!

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online