RSS Feed for this Blog
RSS Feed for all TBA Posts

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Show Me The $$

Sometimes on the big racing days, I just sit back and make show bets all afternoon to pass the time and take in some great racing. I usually play my own little show pool and keep letting it ride. For some reason yesterday, I just played it straight each time probably because I was just trying to beat the bridgejumpers on Pluck in the 7th....but a funny thing happened...

I made show bets at Tampa Bay Downs on Races 7-9 before the Hillsborough and Tampa Bay Derby and all three I made bets on ended up winning their respective races. Lil Bit O' Fun ($10.80 $5.40 $6.80) won the 7th, with the 3-10 favorite Pluck missing the board. Then we liked the closing style of Pay The Man who upset the field at 20-1 ($42.40 $17 $8.80). So when I backed it up with a show bet on Denomination ($26.20 $9 $5.60), I was wondering if I should head over to Wegmans to grab a lottery ticket. Of course, the multirace player in me was dying that I wasn't making a killing.

The rest of the day I just sat back and watched until the San Felipe where I boxed Awesome Patriot, Premier Pegasus and Comma to the Top in an exacta and made a last minute adjustment and through Jaycito in underneath to make it a pretty good day for laying off the wagering button. While Premier Pegasus was impressive (96 Beyer), I thought Comma to the Top ran a good race and put to bed thoughts he can only run on synthetics. I'll keep my eye on him in the next race.

I can't seem to find my Derby horse (rooting interest only). I'm leaning toward Santiva, looks like he'll try the Blue Grass at Keeneland next. I guess I could make a case for Soldat if he comes up big in the Florida Derby. Right now it looks like Mo's to lose. Wonder how many will show up at the Big A to take him on in the Wood? Wouldn't it be something if the first Triple Crown hopeful in the last few years drew the rail for the Derby? At least it would make for some interesting storylines.

Next weekend brings the Rebel Stakes from Oaklawn, and am interested to see what Astrology, Sway Away and Alternation bring to the table and whether or not the Southwest Stakes winner Archarcharch is a flash in the pan.

Made two futures bets. Win bet on 31-1 Silver Medallion (who dropped dramatically from 60-1 in the last twenty minutes before Futures Pool 2 closed). I also made a silly exacta bet key-boxing Uncle Mo with Soldat and All Others. You're welcome for the donation.

Say a prayer for our racing brethren in Japan - international TBAer Kate Hunter had this report yesterday on the safety of US horses in Japan.

Nice tribute by the Sabres lifting their sticks in the air, after defeating Ottawa tonight, to the #7 Rick Martin banner in the rafters, who died of an apparent heart attack in his car today. Our firm does the accounting for the Sabres Alumni Association so I've had the opportunity to meet him several times, he always seemed like a class guy. RIP.

As they sit in the last playoff spot tied with New York, it looks like those Ranger tickets I have for the 30th could end up being a huge game in the hunt to qualify for the Stanley Cup playoffs.

I'm not too disappointed in the Cuse's draw in the tourney. If they should get by first round opponent Larry Bird's alma mater Indiana State, they will have a tough second round game against Cincinnati-based Xavier in Cleveland on Sunday. I think they match up well with North Carolina and you have to face a #1 at some point so being in Ohio State's bracket doesn't faze me. Should be a fun few weeks.

5 Comments:

tencentcielo said...

Sorry about that late odd drop on Silver Medallion. Clearly I have a following, as he dropped right after I said I was going to put $2 to win on him. :-)

Gene Kershner said...

Chris, you definitely swayed the pools with that tweet. Face it, when you're hot, you're hot.

Amateurcapper said...

I heard UNCLE MO may be staying for the Florida Derby considering how well he handled the main (Repole and Pletcher are keeping he and STAY THIRSTY apart).

That would make two audibles for the champ not related to weather and off tracks. Perhaps they think he's so good they could do anything with him and still win the Derby.

Ernie said...

Seriously - who the heck pounded Silver Medallion?

Brian Appleton said...

Nice job with the trio of show bets!!
The Rebel is going to be fantastic, I can't wait to watch it. Sway Away, The Factor and J P's Gusto are really intriguing but it's very wide open to all the talent that's entered.

Silver Medallion made a huge drop in the odds. One thing I was shocked to see before the San Felipe was how insanely low the odds on Runflatout were!

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online