RSS Feed for this Blog
RSS Feed for all TBA Posts

Sunday, August 29, 2010

All Aboard the Afleet Express

I was disappointed when Afleet Alex was retired before the 2005 Travers (my first one) and never being able to see one of my favorite horses in person. So when his progeny, Afleet Express ($16.00) held off a game Fly Down by a nostril (see win photo at the Crist Blog), I felt somewhat redeemed for missing his daddy on my first Travers Day. It was also apropos that I was able to share this year's Travers Day with my father at a table with the Saratoga Resident (many thanks!), the Puma, Jazzy Jeff and friends up in the Turf Terrace. I even sported a horse tie the Space Gal bought me at the NYRA Store for effect. Unfortunately for my pops, that nostril cost him a $500 Pick-4 on a $24 ticket.

I was high on the Express all week, who carried me to victory in the Knight Sky's contest and I wrote over at ThoroFan the following: "Fourth in the Dandy, he was bumped at the start and was caught four wide on the second turn, so his late effort to finish third while closing ground, is better than it may seem on paper. He has the red hot Javier Castellano aboard and I think he's sitting on a big one. Another solid A choice." Of course, in typical fashion, my Travers/Ensign doubled flamed out along with Rachel Alexandra and Life at Ten.

Just as A Little Warm saved my betting day a month ago, Afleet Express did me right and ensured I'll be in the black for the second Spa meet in a row (something I never thought I could ever do). As far as how I fared in other contests...finished 88th (out of 2,100) in the Equibase contest with winnings of $62.30 on $32 wagered (not bad) and out of the Top 50 this time in the GradeOneRacing.com tourney with $422 on $400 wagered, but in the black. All in all a fun weekend, and always great to be at a packed house Spa for the big weekend.

As far as the rest of the day, the only other decent wagers I made were on Rightly So ($11.40)in the Ballerina (G1) and hitting the ten cent super in the finale (after speed capping it in about 2 minutes..go figure).

My Toga Party contest is really heating up with a current 8 way tie for first (all with 3 points) as the landscape changed tremendously (see sidebar link for standings), as Saturday was moving up day for a number of Toga partiers. It's gonna be a photo.....

As far as for today's results, they are not all that unexpected in this camp. I was rousted that I was underestimating Rachel in my Z's Weak Sauce Campaign post, but stand by my commentary that Zenyatta was targeting bigger and better competition and Rachel was no longer the target. I think today reaffirmed that. If we even see Rachel again, I believe it'll be against Blind Luck in the Ladies Classic (as projected), or possibly the Beldame. Can NYRA be any more unlucky? She goes to Monmouth and wins....fans go home happy. She comes to the Spa and well...you know....it's a long ride home for many, with long faces to boot. She's just not the same horse she was last year, and that's ok. No one will take away her tremendous 3yo accomplishments. It'll be a fun matchup with Blind Luck if it happens, fingers are crossed here.

Anyways my camera was pretty dormant yesterday, but here's a few shots...

The meeting's two top jockeys (Johnny V and Javier) yukking it up before Race 6.












Race 6 winner, first time starter Headingtothecity ($22.40) ridden by Ramon Dominguez.











Rajeev Maragh and Shaun Bridgmohan getting ready to take their mounts before the sixth.












A patriotic Hulkster prowling the backyard. Nice biceps, Hogan.












Johnny V jumping aboard Just a Dab in the paddock.












Coming by us the first time in the Travers....note Afleet Express (#7, mid pack) and the trailing Fly Down (#8).









Add the Travers to the list of events I've been able to attend with my father along with the World Series, the NLCS, the Final Four, the Big East Tournament, the Stanley Cup Finals and the US Open at Oak Hill.

2 Comments:

SaratogaSpa said...

My group loved the horse tie-knew it had to be a Space Gal purchase.

That's a nice resume with your Dad-Sports, Family and Friends-isn't that what is all about?

Nipped me at the wire in the Knight Sky Contest-that $2.50 difference is a photo.

The_Knight_Sky said...

ha ha. You two.
That was another photo finish on the leaderboard.

Funny thing was that nobody was high on Afleet Express until I started posting with my cyberdollars.

But Geno, GMTA.
It was the "bumped start" line out of the Jim Dandy that rendered his performances there irrelevant. I knew he had the capability to put on a better show.

Unfortunately everyone else caught on to that with the cyberdollars. Well not "everyone" but WTG to those that did.

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online