RSS Feed for this Blog
RSS Feed for all TBA Posts

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Things About Racing That Don't Bug Me....

I've designed a one-part series on "Things About Racing That Don't Bug Me," just to show that I'm not always harping on the negative. It's not healthy to be all pissy and moany all the time, if you know what I mean. I started to draft a blog that was about things that bug me, but I figured why be all negative and uptight. So the happy me is editing today's number......

1. Saratoga. Opening day is a couple weeks away. I've already started to thing about Toga Party 3, the lone contest run here in the Space Station. 40 days watering down the meet? Hrrmph to the haters, I'll take the extra few days to enjoy the additional racing and the quaint little town in the Adirondacks. I also have a super secret back roads route that a new reader and former WNYer emailed me (and he's an ex-copper!) to help me get about the mendoza line of 4 hours.

2. 50 cent pick fours. Not gonna hate on the $2 pick six cuz that would just be negative. I'm not a huge player, but give me some 50 cent love and I'll rock that bet all day long. Memo to tracks that carry this: I will play your track (especially if the takeout is decent).

3. Fort Erie's day in the sun is approaching. With Ft. Erie trainer Nick Gonzalez winning the Queen's Plate with Big Red Mike, the Prince of Wales is around the corner and should draw a pretty decent crowd with the added local flavor. With Big Red's Disney flick coming out this year and Signature Red winning on the undercard, what more did you need to make a hunch bet on Mikey? Nice Plate Trial/Queen's Plate double for the big guy.

4. Late bloomers. I was sitting behind Kiaran McLaughlin on Belmont Day when Trappe Shot won his allowance race convincingly. I saw a very wry smile come over the trainer's face and a few fist pumps to boot. Yeah, he's a buzz horse now, but I liked what I saw at Gulfstream and he'll be running this weekend at the Shore in the Long Branch Stakes as perhaps a prep for the Travers.

5. Omnisurface star list grows. Franny Freud added a graded dirt win by winning the G1 Prioress and is part of the omnisurface stars list as the filly has won on all three surfaces. Of course, if Big Red Mike can pull off the Canadian Triple Crown, he'll join the winner of all 3 list. Only 5 horses are currently on the graded list. Great site.

6. Babe Ruth style wins. On Friday I commented to TKS that I was taking down his contest this weekend (*pointed to the right field bleachers*). Sure enough I nailed the United Nations with a mythical $50 win bet on Chinchon (IRE) using the Saratoga Resident's "bet on the foreigners on turf" angle. Unfortunately in the HRF contest, I boxed the two foreigners and took it on the chin. Moral of this story: Free contests don't bug me.

7. New Bloggers and Educational Sites. When I started blogging a few years ago, I think there were maybe 25 of us in the TBA. The number is something over 50 now and growing. The enthusiasm that our sport and that people want to write about it is growing and sites ThoroFan and HRF try and assist the newcomers to our game is encouraging. Thumbs up! While I'm at it I'll welcome two of the newer TBA bloggers, Tony Bada Bing from A Leg Up and Fionnuala from Calvados Bloodstock.

8. Tracks Not Afraid to Change. Monmouth took a big gamble, it seems to be working out, but even if it doesn't, they took a shot. NYRA does a nice job with it's social networking and uses popular people to promote the sport. The Cali tracks and Churchill have used night racing as a way to develop new blood and new forms of entertainment for Gen X and Yers.

9. Older horses staying in training. A big theme when I first started blogging was the defection of many "big name" horses after their 3yo season directly to the breeding shed. Take a look at the star power we now have currently racing. It's pretty damn good. It sparks good, healthy debate on how and when these stars will actually race each other, and should climax with some great racing at the Breeders' Cup (if they all stay healthy, God willing).

10. The Winner's Circle. Hey, who doesn't like the winner's circle? Would be even more fun to be in one someday.

What gives you hope or takes you to the racing happy place?

7 Comments:

alan said...

>>What gives you hope or takes you to the racing happy place?

Pot.

The_Knight_Sky said...

At this moment I was wondering if you ran the bases after pointing to Right Field.....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_knight_sky/4760554838/

Speaking of green....
We need some serious amount of rain in the area.

The grass is beginning to turn brown. How are the turf courses upstate?

Tony Bada Bing said...

Thanks for the mention. I'm happy to a member of the TBA. Since horse betting requires strong opinions and a willingness to act of those opinions, I'm not surprised at the talent and diversity of the TBA.

By the way I'll be at the Spa opening weekend, how about you?

SaratogaSpa said...

>>What gives you hope or takes you to the racing happy place?

Sex.

Susan said...

..What gives you hope and takes you to the racing happy place?...

The 11 to 1 shot I had the other day...

Watching Trappe Shot this weekend....

Opening day at Saratoga...

Interested in knowing if there has ever been a get together at Saratoga by members of TBA?

Gene Kershner said...

alan: Funniest one word comment ever recorded on this blog. Congrats.

TKS: I'm not modest. If you didn't already know this.

Bada Bing: You're welcome. For the first time in 5 yrs I'll miss opening day due to family obligations. But I'll be hangin' on Dandy weekend.

Spa: See comment #1....you're in 2nd.

Susan: You go girl. Post a query on the TBA googlegroup when you'll be at the Spa...for sure someone will be around..my plans are Dandy weekend, Aug 11-12 and Travers Day...

Check out a nice takeoff on this post.

Ernie Munick said...

I love this post! (I sound like a pernicious spammer).

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online