RSS Feed for this Blog
RSS Feed for all TBA Posts

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Here's Lookin at you, Kid...




















Space Invasion: Pimlico Race Course. Preakness Day 2010. Young Martin Garcia fist pumped to the cheers of my section on the Clubhouse Turn on Saturday on his way to the winners' circle with the 2010 Preakness winner Lookin at Lucky. It was redemption for trainer Bob Baffert (no matter what this schmuck says) and a monumental day for the young jockey pulled from a delicatessen several years ago to ride horses for a living. It was an interesting day for the Space Man as we wandered through various sections of Pimlico (other than the infield) on its biggest day of the year.

I was somewhat disappointed when I arrived at my seats after coming straight from the airport with just a backpack for my 24 hour whirlwind tour. I was pretty much shut out from the grandstand and clubhouse and only had access to the clubhouse turn section and the infield with my ticket. Even worse, in typical fashion (my dumb ass quotient was pretty high), I failed to read the back of my ticket which clearly said NO BACKPACKS. Enter my sweet-talkin alter ego who convinced the stern faced security lady to let me keep it under my seat. Whew, disaster averted. I watched the first five races from my seats and then decided to wander out over to the infield. I did meet a lively (and very cool) crew of Delawareans sitting behind me who were very entertaining during my time in the Clubhouse reserved seats.

When I approached the grandstand security they were going to make me walk further than I wanted so I pulled a few strings and got myself into the grandstand/clubhouse and the apron box seats. I had nice visits with Steve from Wireplayers and the very dapper Frank from That's Amore Stables to watch a few of the stakes from the apron at the sixteenth pole. I then proceeded to head upstairs to see one of my clients who was having a Notre Dame reunion with some of his classmates and made it up to the grandstand boxes for races 10 and 11. So, a day that started with some unease and concern ended up being quite fantastic. We did ok at the windows through Race 10, but Strike the Deal blew up very live Pick 3 (had Taquarub and Lucky on the ends) and Pick 4 tickets and I blew the Preakness. Of course, that's why they call it gambling. Here's some photos and comments from my day of completing my personal triple crown....




















My view from the clubhouse turn and the first turf race of the day (Race 2) won by Virsito, one of my better picks of the day with Garret Gomez aboard. The tent on the right is the entrance to the Corporate Village for VIPs.




















Here comes the King, here comes the big number one......




















Gate break in the 7th, the James W. Murphy Stakes, a mile turf race won by Beau Choix (note the hard working usher)




















Calvin (and Rachel) were the reigning champs....





















This one will be filed next to my Big Brown Belmont Stakes souvenir. No back to back for Calvin....





















A view of the infield from the Grandstand box seats....





















First Dude takes the lead as they take the Clubhouse Turn at the Preakness!




















A very excited Martin Garcia being interviewed by NBC post race on the Preakness winner Lookin at Lucky!

That's a wrap from Baltimore! A good time was had by all...

4 Comments:

The_Knight_Sky said...

Excellent Space Capsule.
You had a great view of the action there.

Strike a Deal was a headscratcher and something to keep in mind when spotting Goldberg ship-in turfers and maidens after working at Colts Neck Stables (CNS).

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great time and got some nice pictures too! I wasn't able to make it to the Preakness this year (of course the one year aside from 2007 that my horse won and I wasn't there!) but I did go to the Derby. (:

Frank said...

Good to see you, Geno. Ya know, I've been called many things in my life but never before was "dapper" one of 'em - thanks!

Steve Munday said...

Hey Geno,
It was great to hang out w/ you last Sat! Hope you enjoyed Charm City and the Pimlico experience. Looking forward to next time we can meet up at the track.

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online