RSS Feed for this Blog
RSS Feed for all TBA Posts

Saturday, September 26, 2009

One of My Favorites

Today's Kentucky Cup Classic had me remembering one of my favorite horses, Hard Spun, who won this race in 2007. While he did get his grade I in the King's Bishop at Saratoga that summer, he was typically the bridesmaid in all of the big races such as the Derby (2nd), the Breeders' Cup Classic (2nd), the Haskell (2nd), the Preakness (3rd) and the Belmont (4th) where he received a god-awful ride from GoGo. This was before I started this blog, but I was a huge backer of this horse, both at the windows and as a fan. The Ky Cup Classic, which Ryan of Graded Stakes astutely points out in his NTRA blog, has been a home for several runners-up in the BC Classic and Hard Spun is part of that list of recent runners. It was basically a match race between HS and Derby winner Street Sense in the 2007 edition, with a great stretch drive won by one of my all time favorites. I hope he is doing well in the shed and look forward to seeing his offspring soon. Here's the video of the 2007 Cup Classic and race call by Mike Battaglia:

4 Comments:

dana said...

Man I loved that race, great ride by Pino!

The Turk said...

You read my mind. I took the opportunity to remember Hard Spun too....Actually I do that every chance I get!

Unknown said...

Should be a terrific sire

Ryan said...

I feel privileged to have been able to watch him race twice. I'm eagerly looking forward to seeing his progeny race!

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online