RSS Feed for this Blog
RSS Feed for all TBA Posts

Friday, July 3, 2009

Holiday Blather

Some say he was the worst Derby favorite in recent memory in 2006. The former Illinois Derby winner is entered in tomorrow's Wadsworth Memorial Handicap down the thruway in Canandaigua at Finger Lakes Race Track. Sweetnorthernsaint, becomes the second Derby entrant in the last three years to run at the track located in wine country in western New York, was made the 5-2 morning line favorite in tomorrow's $65K race. Funny Cide ran his career finale there on the 4th of July in 2007. It's still a track that I haven't been to yet, literally less than 75 miles away, but it's in the works for later this summer.

Another local bit of good news (for those who haven't obtained their passports or enhanced licenses and are devoid of an ADW account) for western New Yorkers is that the WROTB will start handling bets on Fort Erie, just in time for the prestigious Prince of Wales Stakes set for next weekend. I was in the Ridge Lea location yesterday to enter a weekly free contest on the Belmont card (picked 3 of 8 winners, 2 seconds killed me, didn't qualify) that they move around the different branches around the metro Buffalo area. Lockport Transit location's contest next Wednesday is on the radar where I'll be accompanied by my handicapping pal G squared.

Speaking of contests, still hanging in the Monmouth Survival at the Shore, currently sitting in 140th with $501.60, with 495 active players remaining. I wasn't aware of the grant of an additional life preserver, until reading it at Red Rock or Bust, so that was a bonus as I was flying naked. The contest is a brilliant marketing tool, as I have downloaded the PP's daily, I am starting to know the jockey colony and I make a daily play on a track that I normally wouldn't play in favor of the NYRA tracks.

Off to see the much ballyhooed movie, The Hangover....

4 Comments:

SaratogaSpa said...

Don't forget the late Tin Cup Chalice, winner of the 2008 Big Apple Triple and 2008 Indiana Derby ran and was stabled at Finger Lakes.

I'm looking to make my maiden trip to this track also this summer also-let me know when you are going.

Keith - Triple Dead Heat said...

Somone needs to do the blogpost on the Ultimate Interstate Horse Racing Road Trip...

I nominate Equispace!

How long would it take to hit the vast majority of NY and NJ tracks if you also include Woodbine and Fort Erie?

I'd like NYRA to sponsor me on this!

The Turk said...

My one and only trip to Finger Lakes was to see Funny Cide.

I loved seeing Funny under Trainer Tagg at Saratoga as well. I hope he's enjoying his well earned vacation.

The_Knight_Sky said...

I'll trade you a dozen of my trips to Monmouth for one to Finger Lakes.

I went to a wedding in Rochester a few years back, but I could not mix "business with pleasure".

I really liked the change of pace of that area. I shall return !! ;-)

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online