RSS Feed for this Blog
RSS Feed for all TBA Posts

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Happily Ever Always, PETA and Organic Peas

I'm going to sneak a quick post in while the Space Kid sleeps. I learned today that he doesn't like organic peas, based on the fact they ended up all over the front of me.

Did anyone see the 8th at Monmouth yesterday? I was interested as it was the last Survival at the Shore race of the day and I needed to hit the board to not risk my life preserver. Did I just say that? Anyways, I was on the favorite, Ever Always who was taking all the money and moving between 1-5 and 1-9 (she ended up at 0.05!!). She crushed this 3YO and up allowance field for non-winners of two (this was her third race) by 15 1/4 lengths (Rachel-like) as the only 3yo filly in the field. I tell you to watch the replay on this race, she was simply awesome. One to put in the watch list, for sure.

On Sunday, upon completing the first leg of my trip home from NYC, I arrived in Altoona at the in-laws who happened to have ESPN on their miniature kitchen TV and I recognized Michael Blowen from Old Friends on screen. I was fortunate to meet him during our Lexington trip in April the same day a Paragallo horse was being rescued. So, my in-laws and I continued to watch the Outside The Lines segment on horse slaughter and Michael and a representative from PETA were going back and forth as to the best way to save Charismatic and War Emblem, both currently over in Japan. The PETA rep was so focused on the negative, while I thought Michael was very well spoken and handled the issue with compassion and thoughtfulness. The clip is here if you missed the seven minute plus segment shown for the first time on Sunday.

I was reading Dan Illman's formblog last night and ran across Alydar's past performances. Pretty impressive, indeed. I remember as a teenager the triple crown duels with Affirmed. It's amazing that the highest odds he ever went off at were 2.10....amazing. Not to mention he raced 26 times...

Ok, back to the washing machine...gonna try and Shout it out...and maybe sneak in a race or two from the Shore.

4 Comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

(reposting with the better grammar)

I am curious to know what PETA's suggestion was? If it is like their preivous suggestion with other animals it would be "Shoot the horse now and get it over with."

I also didn't know that War Emblem was in danger. I thought they solved his..ummm...yah know..."problem" with the ladies.

Gene Kershner said...

Gordon: the issue is that PETA keeps posting videos putting the Japanese in bad light, when guys like Michael Blowen are trying to work with the people that own these horses to bring them back over here. The cost is steep $40K just to ship one horse back. According to the OTL segment, War Emblem is also over there and Blowen is talking to his current owners (for the past 18 mos) to bring him back.

Thanks for reading.

Anonymous said...

Hi, just wanted to let you know that I haven't left blogging completely. I did go back to Blogger. Wordpress didn't work out for me as well as I had hoped. So I still have my blog; it's just now back where it started. Thanks!

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online