RSS Feed for this Blog
RSS Feed for all TBA Posts

Friday, May 29, 2009

Join Me and 50,000 of My Closest Friends...

Well at least now we know it will be quite roomy for me and 50,000 of my closest friends on June 6th.

Pros:
- It should be comfortable moving around spacious Belmont Park
- Betting lines should be scarce (and the Belmont could end up being a pretty good betting race)
- Beer lines should be manageable and if it rains...
- The trains won't be jammed
- Meeting up with friends and acquaintances (JB! The Puma! Saratoga Rez!) won't be impossible
- There's still a terrific undercard with $1M guaranteed all-stakes Pick 4 and all-stakes Pick 6 wagers)
- I'm driving in from Altoona, PA and google maps says 5 hours, I'll be shooting for a 4:59 (naturally)
- The Luv Gov's got a shot now (check out this post I discovered today from Newsday.com last August that linked right here)
- I'm not even going to say it (and jinx the waterworks situation)

Cons:
- Not much history to be made unless Calvin gets his jockey triple.
- TV ratings and our chance to capture some of the public that was becoming enamored with Rachel Alexandra is slowly slipping away.
- We'll have to read a million posts about where Rachel should run next (did you know that there's a filly triple crown?)
- If you made your attendance guess in the office pool before the announcement and you thought she was coming, thanks for the donation - you just lost.

Last three Belmont Stakes Day attendance figs:
2006 - 45,037 (Jazil)
2007 - 46,870 (Rags to Riches)
2008 - 95,476 (Da'Tara)

I wish I could understand why a city with 19 million people can't fill this joint every year...

4 Comments:

Ghostsnapper said...

Well... If it's any consolation, I'll be there! Ha ha My first Belmont and I cannot wait!

Gene Kershner said...

Snapper: Awesome! I'm sure there will be a blogger meet up at some point...email me.

You never forget your first Belmont!

SaratogaSpa said...

Would have loved to see Rachel in there, but I have to say , the first thing I did think of was, well at least there will be more room for my friends and I. Hopefully will see you and other bloggers/fans during the day!

G. C. said...

It seems like the masses only show up when the TV tells them too. The media hasn't been droning endlessly about triple crown so only 50K or so of the hardcore will be there. It will be a relatively small and select group. It is better that way.

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online