RSS Feed for this Blog
RSS Feed for all TBA Posts

Sunday, February 1, 2009

When Can I Take Him to the Track?

As I sat in my favorite chair in the Space Den on Friday night handicapping for Saturday's contest races, I had just finished the first of four races and selected Saratoga Sinner (hope it's not a sign based on the name....or the kid could be lucky) in the Holy Bull (G3), when the Space Gal proclaimed that her water broke. My response was "are you freakin' kidding me???" Did you know that only 15% of all pregnant ladies' water breaks naturally? (Had to get a DYK in there although I am totally going with hearsay on this one).

After 19 hours of labor (my sense of humor lost luster by hour 9 when she looked me square in the eyes and said "pretend it's 7pm after a hard day of work when you're not funny to me anymore" and "could you please just not talk") we were blesssed with a healthy baby boy on the last day of January 2009 at 4:10pm. SG and baby are both doing great. Thanks to all those who gave us shoutouts on Facebook.

So when I asked her when I could take the Space Kid to the track, I received a full dose of lazer eyes. I responded to the long stretch of dead silence with the following line: "Kids love ponies." That brought a huge smile to her face. After a long night and day, I kissed her and told her she did a great job. Life is the best sometimes.

10 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

I say when he is old enough to pick out the gray one from a group of horses it is time to get him to the racetrack.

Theodore L. Grevelis said...

Congrads!!! Very, very cool! My two are 12 and 8 and they both love the backstretch and racedays!

Superfecta said...

Congrats! I was in labor during Afleet Alex's bounceback and Linus was in his first winner's circle photo at age 1 - go early and often!

G. Rarick said...

Do we get to have a contest to pick the name? And do you need Jockey Club approval??

congrats!

The Turk said...

Little Turk nailed Street Sense to win at 7 years old. We've been taking him to the Saratoga for first friday dusk racing and Travers Stakes weekend for three years now. He went to Fort Erie when he was four and really started to get the feel.

There's little better then sharing the your passions with your little one. Three generations of Turk's talking horses....priceless.

Amateurcapper said...

More congrats.
Little compares to the birthday of your children. I'll be taking my almost 9 and 7 kids next Saturday to see STARDOM BOUND's '09 debut.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to the whole Space Station!

I hope everyone is well and look forward to seeing some photos posted.

Cheers

Keith

Gene Kershner said...

Thanks everyone for the well wishes and to those who emailed and called too!

SaratogaSpa said...

One of my greatest pleasures is bringing my kids to the track with me. Enjoy! and rest up.

teeshirtsoup said...

Life is the best. Congratulations. I love the fact that you already asked when you can take him to the track. Oh yea, I know 19 hours must have been very tough on her, but still to say that to you after only 9 hours? I think you know how I feel about that.

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online