RSS Feed for this Blog
RSS Feed for all TBA Posts

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

"If you have to ask, you probably can't afford it"

I've been toying about heading out to the Breeders' Cup at Santa Anita for several weeks and have yet to pull the trigger. My uncle lives in Corona del Ray and has always asked me to come visit him on the left coast numerous times. My first Breeders' Cup was at Monmouth in the slop last year, so I think the Space Gal would welcome the SoCal weather over the Jersey Shore in October, so that's not an issue. The fact that it falls annually on my birthday weekend is also a godsend (thank you, thank you). Well, I was surfing tonight and ran across yet the third word this week I had to run by dictionary.com regarding a special seating/viewing area at this year's Cup. The hosts will be providing a "experiential hospitality opportunity" for those fortunate enough to obtain a VIP pass on the infield, a "Champions Village" of such. Not that I am opposed to hob nobbing with the rich and famous, I'm sure I could make those folks a buck or two...but damn, experiential...what the hell is that?


I have to admit, I was still confused after looking it up, but the article gave me the gist of things. I can be Average Joe and I can fake it with the best of them when it comes to high class entertainment. The Saratoga Resident has had me in some nice spots, whether on the turf terrace at Toga or in a clubhouse box at the eighth pole for the Derby, or in the box seats on the finish line for a non-Triple Crown Belmont. Regardless of the location, I can clean up with the best of 'em. However, with all that's going on in the sport, this article just made me throw up in my mouth a little. I was half laughing, half getting sick and half dazed. I know that's one and a half, but the extra half is the part that is confused about this whole thing. I guess I'll see if the Saratoga Resident has some pull or ask my rich uncle if he has some juice, just so I could write about it, but I'd be just as happy sitting in my shorts and a polo catching some SoCal rays making fun of them from afar.


Maybe they should be making sure they have a decent track to run on before announcing crap like this. How much will these seats cost you ask? No word per the press release. "But if you have to ask, you probably can't afford it."

3 Comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE THE BLOG, KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!! Just a tidbit of info....A NEW CANADIAN SYNDICATE HAS SHARES AVAILABLE NOW! VISIT www.unitedthoroughbreds.com for more info. SHARES START AT JUST $1000 CDN!!

Wind Gatherer said...

I detestate when people attemptate to qualificate very unique language.

Anonymous said...

David: I checked out your site, very nice, it looks like you are on your way! Thanks for reading.

Winston: LOL. Have a good 4th.

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online