RSS Feed for this Blog
RSS Feed for all TBA Posts

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

If You Could Turn Back Time...

No, I'm not a big Cher fan, but I do often wonder how Sonny Bono snagged her? And on the 16th anniversary of the Tonya Harding-Nancy Kerrigan incident, we're going to rev up the way-back machine and list my top five sporting events that I would attend in a heartbeat (now knowing the outcome) and the top five sporting events if I could go back and change the outcomes......feel free to leave a comment to share yours (if afforded the opportunity) or what event you would alter the outcome of....as you can tell it's a little slow in the Space Lab these days...but here goes....

Top Five Sporting Events I Would've Attended if Afforded the Chance

1 - Secretariat's Belmont Stakes. Who wouldn't want to see this "tremendous machine" win by 31 1/2 lengths to take the Triple Crown in 1973?
2 - Miracle on Ice. Lake Placid 1980. Do You Believe in Miracles? U-S-A! U-S-A!
3 - 1958 NFL Championship (Colts-Giants). Greatest Game Ever Played. Unitas (my idol) hands off to Ameche to win first ever overtime championship game at Yankee Stadium. Before I was born, but I'd give my left leg (or maybe the right one) to have been there.
4 - Ali-Frazier I - The Fight of the Century. What other event had first graders taking sides. Well at least my first grade class.
5 - The Immaculate Reception. Although I cherish the moment that I put a hole through the chair in my living room (at 8 years old) jumping up and down on it while watching this game with my father....I think it would've been pretty cool to see that incredible play.

Five Sporting Events I Would Change the Outcome (you know, if I were Kazaam)

1 - Wide Right. No Contest. Instead of leading to four straight Super Bowl losses....who knows what may have happened?
2 - No Goal. Do you see a pattern here? Sabres take Stars to game seven....ya never know...ok no more Buffalo references...
3 - Home Run Throwback. I lied. This one was painful. We tackle Dyson or play ruled a forward pass (screwed again), game over. Rob Johnson/Doug Flutie combo take us to the Super Bowl (ok, so I'm delusional). Hey, this is my post so get ovah your ownself.
4 - USA/Russia Gold Medal Basketball Game, 1972 Olympics. Ball slips through Belov's hands, we win the gold.
5 - Eight Belles' Derby/Barbaro's Preakness (tie). 'Nuff said.

[Editor Update: Honorable Mention - Keith Smart's jumped clanks off rim, Syracuse wins 1987 National Championship (I was there for that one)]

6 Comments:

John said...

But Geno how about Affirmed's 78Belmont win? Were you there? It definitely rates as # 1or 2.

Unknown said...

I wish I'd seen Dr. Fager at a mile.

Anonymous said...

I'd like to have seen Citation's Triple Crown.

I'd like to change the outcome of the 1999 Belmont Stakes, with Charismatic not getting hurt and winning the race. I'm a big Lukas fan and that one was tough. OK, wonder how many enemies I just made with that admission?!?!

The Turk said...

I'd have loved to have visited Man o' War and his groom in their retirement. Good Stuff Geno!

SaratogaSpa said...

Agree with your # 1 choice of Secretariat winning the Belmont-I remember reading about it the next day in morning newspaper before the interweby thing came about

I'm a Mets fans so I would have loved to been at Game 6 of the 1986 World Series ....the ball gets bye Buckner...The Mets win, the Mets win!!1(I was at Game 1-they Lost)

Gene Kershner said...

John: Good call on Affirmed's Triple Crown and battle with Alydar.

E: Right on.

Eliz: One of Calumet's finest and agree on the Charismatic (look for the 30/30 ESPN documentary on Charismatic - Feb I think?). Have you read "A Wild Ride" about Calument?

Turk: Thanks pal. Man o'War & groom...awesome.

SS: Thank goodness for Al Gore and his creation of the interweb. Mets, huh? They sent us sucky players in Bflo during the first season as AAA franchise...nice signing with Bay.

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online