RSS Feed for this Blog
RSS Feed for all TBA Posts

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Returning to the Scene of the Crime

Seabiscuit statue in the
Santa Anita paddock
It doesn't seem like three years ago when I last walked the paddock at beautiful Santa Anita Race Track for the 2009 Breeders' Cup (BC), but man time flies. I covered the Dirt Mile for the NTRA that year and was afforded some sweet seats in the grandstand, which I shared with a good friend and client. Seeing Goldikova and Zenyatta win that afternoon created some memories that will last with me forever. Thursday afternoon, I return to the scene of the crime, covering the BC Classic for The Buffalo News.

I've spent some time with the PP's and have a game plan for Friday's card, and will have my thoughts on the last four BC races in my Friday online column at the TBN Sports, Ink blog. I'll try and get a post or two up here at the Space blog, time willing over the weekend, in case I come across anything worthy of sharing. You can follow me on Twitter (@EquiSpace) as I'll be posting pics and random "stay classy LA" captions for my sojourns into Tinsel Town after the races.

It has been a while since I posted so here are some thoughts on what's happening since I last invaded Canada...

Summer of Fun. I was fortunate enough to do a feature piece in Sunday's paper on the Bona Venture Stables' filly who drew the 2 hole in the BC Juvenile Fillies Turf race to be held on Friday. The filly is 30-1 on the morning line, but has drawn the interest of one, Ramon Dominguez in the irons, so she could be an interesting long shot play. I enjoyed chatting with trainer George Weaver, who seems to be a really good guy looking to get a break and win a big race. The race is uber-competitive with Irish filly Sky Lantern, Woodbine invader Spring Venture and several other decent fillies looking to don the purple and yellow.

The Marathon. Looked at those PP's for over 45 minutes and still have no clue. I think we're just going to sit this one out (we being me, myself and I). If I had to like someone, I guess it would be Atigun, but I dunno.

The Juvenile Sprint. This race kicks off the BC and drew a whopping seven horses. I'm guessing Baffert will set the table early and win the first BC race since we're in his territory.  I favor Super Ninety Nine to edge Merit Man and Ceiling Kitty in the 6-furlong opener.

Sandy. For once, we were pretty fortunate in Western New York when we dodged the deadly storm that wreaked havoc with the New York/New Jersey area. We're all set for Christmas here at the Space Station, as we have plenty of D batteries. I sure hope our friends in the metro NY area are recovering and getting back to normal as best they can.

Horse I like the most on Friday's card. In the F&M Turf I'm really digging The Fugue.

ThoroFan. Check out the Handicappers' Corner this weekend, as 10 TBA bloggers will be posting their selections on many of the BC races. There will also be a ThoroFan meet up in the Grandstand at Santa Anita on Friday, details are here. If you're interested in a ticket for the races Friday, we have still have some remaining in the Grandstand that will only cost you a  $25 membership (seats are around the sixteenth pole). Send me an email if you are interested while we still have some inventory.

The Turk. Make sure you check out the Turk's thoughts on the Classic, as he has the assignment at the Handicappers' Corner and always is willing to share his bet strategy and handicapping agility. We shared a cigar last Saturday at the Tinder Box, a local Western New York establishment, it was good to see the 'ole Turk and talk racing, among other WNY stuff.

Off to LaLa land....

0 Comments:

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online