RSS Feed for this Blog
RSS Feed for all TBA Posts

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Dog Days of Racing

We've reached the Dog Days of summer racing, where we're nearing the midpoint of both the Saratoga and Del Mar meetings, so it's time for a random rambling post....

- We're back from a week with the family on the Jersey Shore, diverted north to Oceanport on Haskell Day with my pop for the big day at Monmouth.

- Doesn't it seem that you need a vacation from the vacation these days? I thought I'd have some time to watch some racing or post some thoughts while in Wildwood. That's a negative, ghost rider.

- The Toga Party contest is heating up, or should I say stagnating? For the first time in the five-year history of the Spa-based contest, no one picked the Whitney winner (and it was only the third choice on the morning line) and no one had the Crazy Eights (8/8) day winners, when two longer priced #8 horses took the late double ($140 for $2) and resulting in three #8 horses winning on the day. The final race cost a few contestants that valuable point. Still plenty of time to make a big move, and everyone is still alive.

- My oldest daughter's 21st birthday (man, I'm old) was yesterday on 8/8. The winner in the first at the Spa for Pletcher yesterday?  My Emma.  My daughter's name - Emily.  Did I bet it? What do you think?

- Had a rough day back in Buffalo playing the Sunday Spa card in the slop. I should know better and when to quit while ahead. I'm a horrible wet track player and this needs to be my resolution for next year (or next week) to lay off wet track wagering.

- The Bills opened the preseason tonight. I did not attend. It would have been nice to see RGIII, but I figure I'll see him when it counts sometime in the next few years. I'm not going to get excited too early this year. Here's a prognostication: Vince Young will be the starter by October 15.

- Two Spa trips remain on my calendar. Travers weekend with my pop, and will be covering the big race for TBN. Will make a surgical strike on August 29-30, with a little golf at National with some clients mixed in. What dog days? By the way, I've decided to retire any further attempts at the 3:59. In speaking (actually texting) with the artist formerly known as The Wind Gatherer, we decided I should go straight to stud.

- Had the Space Kid making sand racetracks at the Shore instead of sand castles. Space Gal just shook her head as I had different chutes for the inner and outer tracks going. Yep.

- Our Friday post on the Sports, Ink blog will feature Friday's Hall of Fame inductions and a quick pick on Friday's Grade 2 Hall of Fame turf race.

- Currently sitting in 8th place in Ernie Munick's Din Din Derby contest, mainly because of big opening day picks of Pacific Ocean and So Many Ways. Long way out of first, after the leader nailed Poseidon's Warrior in the Vanderbilt, but still nice to be on the leaderboard.

- Snuck over the border on Monday to have lunch with my pal Brian Zipse who was road-tripping a Toga-Fort Erie double. He wrote a nice post on the border oval over at HRN and even included a pic of yours truly. We were joined by local horseman/blogger Nick Costa, (aka Trackman) for an enjoyable day at the Fort, where the weather was an absolutely picture perfect Western New York/Southern Ontario kind of day.

- Love the 20 cent Pick-3's and Pick-4's at the Fort, but man, if you don't catch a price horse the payouts are skimpy. The opening P3 for three straight quarter horse races paid a whopping $4.74, wherein the same trainer won all three races (Jeff Burgess).

- Can't say I'm surprised at the selection of Santa Anita for the 2013 Breeders' Cup...called it in December. At year end we'll have a full recap of my Kreskin picks, when each guess is in the books. Let's just say I'm not doing too shabby.

- Does anyone really eat organic peanut butter?

I'll leave you chewing on that note...have a great weekend.

0 Comments:

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online