RSS Feed for this Blog
RSS Feed for all TBA Posts

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Preakness 2012: Day in Pictures

No. 9 was the magic number on Saturday
It was a perfect ending to a perfect day in sunny Baltimore. For the eighth time in the last 15 years we'll have an opportunity to witness a candidate in Elmont, NY for the final leg of the elusive Triple Crown of racing. We posted our recap for TBN after the race and sat back and enjoyed an ice cold Budweiser on the balcony of the press box and soaked in the breeze that was blowing up to the fourth floor of Pimlico Race Course.

I had another terrific experience in Baltimore, and explored the track a little more than in the past. I spent some time in the grandstand, the Sports Palace (not sure I was supposed to be in there), the clubhouse, the Turf Terrace and of course, the Infield. It was packed to the gills in the infield, but everyone seemed to be pretty civilized and having a good time. I think the bands they brought in this year helped with the type of crowd that showed up Saturday afternoon.

I once again sat next to Capitals beat writer Steve Whyno, who was a pleasure to be with all weekend, who covers the Preakness for the Washington Times. It's always fun to chat NHL with him as well as the ponies.

We live blogged the day, in between visiting with K-Mart, the Beer Man, Teresa, NJ Derek and Matt from Kentucky, who I enjoyed dinner with later in the evening at the Airport Hilton, my bar of choice post-Preakness.

I was pretty fortunate at the windows (see live blog - not easy to put yourself out there) where I hit the late Pick-4 and gave out the Preakness trifecta (who doesn't like doubling their money?), but had to eat humble pie with my pick in the paper, Went The Day Well, who finished 10th. Both Whyno and I picked him to win, and we both said "ruh roh" when he took off from his stable pony during the post parade and ran off. Oh well -- that's why they call it gambling. The Belmont is usually a wagering bloodbath for me, hopefully I can keep the mojo going.

The one thing I didn't do, that I have before the last two Preaknesses was to buy a souvenir $2 win ticket on I'll Have Another. It failed miserably for Super Saver and Animal Kingdom, so I guess I'll have to not buy one on Belmont Day. I wouldn't want to jinx the Flower Alley colt with a chance to enter legendary status.

Here are some pictures from the day....

Gate break in the Gallorette
Zagora was all the best for Chad Brown
in the Grade 3 Gallorette
Gate break for Race 4 with promising 3-year-olds
4-Paynter and 3-Brimstone Island
Paynter runs away from Brimstone Island
to earn a triple digit Beyer
Time to enter InfieldFEST
Party atmosphere in the Infield
More revelry
180 degree turn - under the tent
in the Turf Terrace
View of a turf race in the
Turf Terrace - pretty sweet view
Clare Skies Ahead
sores to victory in an allowance race
Just dropping in - don't mind me
Clogged?
Grandstand view
Loading for the James W. Murphy
1 mile turf race
D. Wayne Lukas' 2-Skyring (8-1) upsets the
Murphy to kick off the Pick-4
They say anything goes at
the Preakness
3-Hudson Steele was all the best
for the Toddster in the Grade 2 Dixie
9-I'll Have Another in the paddock
6-Creative Cause in the post parade
7-Bodemeister arrives on the scene
9-I'll Have Another
They're off in Preakness 137
Running past the Grandstand
for the first time

9-I'll Have Another starts his move past 7-Bodemeister
 That's a wrap from Baltimore, hope you enjoyed my ride.

1 Comment:

Colins Ghost said...

You know you made it when you get Anon hater comments. High five! Had no idea WtDW ran off during the post parade -- he was my pick too. Congrats on the P4 and tri score! See you at the Belmont. Kevin

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online