RSS Feed for this Blog
RSS Feed for all TBA Posts

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Bucket Listing

It's been awhile since I've done one of my patented lists, so I figured since we have a bit of a lull in the action within the racing world that I'd share some racing (and non-racing) bucket list fodder with you.

About a year and a half ago I shared by track visit wish list, and in the past 18 months have only managed to knock off 2 tracks (Finger Lakes and Pimlico - live). Not a very good showing by yours truly. The problem is that all of my travel was confined to the Triple Crown, Woodbine and Saratoga, so I've been remiss in tackling some of the tracks on my wish list.

But this bucket list won't just be visits, it'll be other stuff that's racing related and then for those interested we'll venture onto the personal list, which of course, has a bit of a sporting twist to it...

I did knock off a couple this year, notably (a) be part of a winners circle win photo, (b) complete personal Triple Crown in one year, (c) attend a racing Hall of Fame Ceremony and (d) guest co-host of simulcast program (at Fort Erie).

Racing Bucket List

1. Visit Del Mar Thoroughbred Club. The difficulty in this one is that it runs during the Saratoga meet and that's it's clear across the country. This one is gonna happen one of these years. San Diego is too nice to pass up and it would probably show up there, but who wants duplicative lists?

2. Attend the Arlington Million. I love turf racing and hear how awesome the track facility is. I have blogger friends who could also show me a good time.

3. Hit the Derby Trifecta. Have come close a few times (last three years) hitting 2 of the 3 spots...this one is one I really want. Better yet, would love to call it cold in the paper.

4. Write a racing book for the non-racing fan. I have some thoughts here about a humorous "How to" book about horse racing. Hoping to sell more than 10 copies.

5. Wear a top hat at Royal Ascot. Those bad boys are sweet.

6. Attend one of the thoroughbred auction sales (preferably at Keeneland). It's something I've never attended and everyone says it's the place to be.

7. Qualify for the NHC Handicapping Tournament in Vegas. Haven't been too serious in my attempts, mainly the on-line free contests and survival contests. Will need to devote some bankroll one of these years and bear down and attempt to do it.

8. Attend the Eclipse Awards. I own a tuxedo, I could probably get a credential. January in a warm place? Listen to Kenny Rice bad jokes? I'm in. (Waiting for the snoozefest comments....fire away).

That's it for my racing bucket list for now...on to my personal non-racing (non-family related) short list....of course I'd love to have the Space Gal do them all with me...

1. Watch the Bills win a Super Bowl. Spoiled in the early 90s, it's been all famine since. Seriously teased last Sunday by the huge win at KC. (I'd even take a win over Tom Brady as honorable mention).

2. Watch the Sabres carry the Cup around First Niagara Center (formerly known as HSBC Arena). This could very easily be #1A, coupled entry.

3. Try Surfing. Really. I'd even wear one of those beach necklaces with a turquoise stone in the middle.

4. Attend games at Wrigley and Fenway. Two iconic parks I've never stepped inside of. I've got Notre Dame Stadium in the books already, but these two ballparks are beckoning.

5. Attend a NBA Final. Other than a Super Bowl, I've been to most major championships, would love to see an NBA Final, preferably in LA (not that I like either LA team).

6. Play a Round at Augusta. Who wouldn't want to take a shot at Amen Corner. I haven't played much golf over the past few years, but that would be one course that would be bucket-list worthy.

7. Beer Taster for a day at the Heineken Plant in the Netherlands. Quality control is right up my alley.

8. Attend a World Cup USA Soccer Game. The South Africa World Cup hooked me. I feel some allegiance to another non-mainstream sport that gets its moment in the sun every four years.

What's on your bucket list?

6 Comments:

Brian Zipse said...

#1 has been the same for a long time ... Attend the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe ... Someday!

Wanna go, Geno???

Gene Kershner said...

Zip...I'm in! Have to brush up on my French...

#1 is gonna get done in the next 2 years. Thanks for reading!

For personal bucket list...definitely forgot: Make a Hole-in-one....ironically my dad had his second one ever on Tuesday!

Brian Zipse said...

Excellent, Geno ... Not to make you jealous, but I was just at Del Mar, and as always, loved it! And as you may have guessed with my profession, I've had 4 hole-in-ones, but I need to join you for #6 on the non-racing bucket list!

Gene Kershner said...

Zip...come close a few times with the hole-in-one.

Been to Augusta for a practice round...place is immaculate. I always wanted to duck hook one into the creek along #11.

Tony Bada Bing said...

Call me and we'll do Fenway on a summer night...nothing better...

Brian Appleton said...

I'd have to say the Melbourne Cup is my #1, I love Australian racing!

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online