RSS Feed for this Blog
RSS Feed for all TBA Posts

Monday, August 8, 2011

Whitney Day and Crazy Eights

I've been off the grid for a few days trying to catch up before taking a vacation from the real job. The Space Gal and I made a surgical strike for our anniversary weekend to the Spa for Whitney day (her request) for the first time since Invasor's win back in 2006. I did a Whitney/Haskell double that year and my liver still hurts.

I didn't favor Tizway and when Bond said in the post draw quotes that he thought his horse "could get the distance" of 9 furlongs, I ran the other way thinking that was the first sign that he couldn't. He proved me wrong and I took my medicine. That's the great thing about this game, when you fall off the bike, you just have to get up and get back on and ride again.

It was almost a Belmont day-like bloodbath, until the De La Rose when 25-1 Trix in the City was the peanut butter in my Pick-3 sandwich of heavy favorites Higher Court and Turbulent Descent, to salvage an otherwise miserably betting day. I was really rooting for Flay's Her Smile and Baffert's American Lady who would have quadrupled or tripled the victory. When I bet on Pletcher he lost horribly, and when I didn't his 7-1 Katz My Song pulled the upset. Go figure. I can't even take credit for Trixie, as my pop gave me the tip on Friday night when perusing the card with me, saying he saw her go gate to wire last year at the Spa and told me it could be a "horse for the course." Thanks, pop.

We spent the first six races hanging in the Paddock Bar, enjoyed my first Shake Shack burger (5.3 on the Richter) and met some fun folks along the way. Jessica and dana stopped by to say hello to me and the Space Gal and we visited with my pal BV, who was all over Tizway in a big way at the window and in Toga Party IV. We capped the day off with some drinks at the Lodge and a solid meal at the Beekman Street Bistro, one of my favorite places off the beaten path.

While we missed the mark on our News selections of Mission Impazible, I was attempting to hit all three Canadian triple crown winners and I missed it by a nose. I had selected Inglorious and Pender Harbour in the first two legs and went with Celtic Conviction over Pender Harbour in Friday's Sports, Ink blog post. Close, but no cigar. I was fortunate to speak with Luis Contreras, who swept all three Canadian TC races, at the Plate Trial barbecue. He's a fine young man, his recent success couldn't come for a nicer fellow.

Speaking of the Toga Party contest, five contestants had Tizway, including a gloating Space Gal who has assumed a share of the lead with yours truly with 2 points. There's another contest point available today (8/8), for the number of wins by the 8 horse - crazy 8's day. After four races, there's been no winners and the #8 has scratched out of the 7th and 10th, so a low number of 0 or 1 looks like it may be the right guess.

Here's a few random photos from the weekend (sorry, forgot the pink camera so you'll have to live with shots from my phone).....we'll be back in Saratoga on Wednesday through the Hall of Fame induction ceremony on Friday (and maybe a few races ;) )

Nick Zito saddles Bomber Boy before the 5th

Rajiiiiiiiiiv! Whitney winning jock.

7-1 Katz My Song before winning the 5th,
Johnny V up

Saratoga meeting leading trainer TAP

Duke of Mischief heading towards
the Whitney gate

The Whitney horses milling around before
loading for the big race

Tizway roars down the stretch
in front of Flat Out
Last three photos courtesy: Space Gal Enterprises (she charged me)

1 Comment:

Amateurcapper said...

Space Gal's a shrewd businesswoman!

Have a great vacation!

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online