|It's Tricky crosses the wire|
in front of Plum Pretty in the CCAO
It became the motto for the rest of the day and into the evening as we capped off a great opening two days at the Spa.
Unfortunately Self Control just didn't show the same things he did in his first race where he was caught badly in traffic and we sent it in on bad tip. "Tips, Schmips" was the Saratoga Resident's reply. We should all know better as we continued to play the voicemail throughout the rest of the card. "Send it in on Aptphilly ($16.80) in the 8th!"
I recovered to end the weekend in the black thanks to a $5 exacta in the Coaching Club. Caught up with a lot of folks, racing fans and made some new friends over the course of the weekend.
Some random thoughts from the cobwebs...
* I don't care much for the new Jim Dandy bar configuration, the Saratoga Resident was quick to point out it has more of an airport feel to it.
* I do like the new beer prices - $3 domestic and $4 import for a 12 oz.
* I do not like that they tossed Bud and Bud Light....what?
* I like the bands playing at the Paddock Bar after the last race on Fridays.
* I liked that the press box had air conditioning.
* I really liked having my first Genny Cream Ale in over 25 years with the WNY Horse Racing crew based out of Rochester.
* The Coaching Club American Oaks was a serious horse race. I loved every minute of that stretch drive. Plus, I sent it in!
Take a gander over a few pictures I shot over the course of the weekend with the Space Gal's pink camera....always a good chuckle, but it does the trick.
|The Toddster and Mike Repole|
in the paddock
|Steve Asmussen tending to |
My Miss Aurelia ($8.40), a solid first time winner
|A dapper D. Wayne Lucas |
awaiting Bourbonesque in the paddock stall
|Canadian based trainer Mark Casse |
with NBC's Tom Hammond chillin
before Race 3
|Johnny V on Stopshoppingmaria|
who finished third
|Julien Leparoux on My Miss Aurelia|
|Corey Nakatani on Jackson Bend ($18.80)|
before the James Marvin S.
|Kent Desormeaux on Laurie's Rocket ($16.20)|
who took it to the favorites in
Saturday's Race 2.
|The well-bet Pletcher/Valezquez tandem|
finished third with How Do I Win
|Welcome to the Charlotte International Airport.|
|WNY Horse Racing Group |
making a Genny commercial
|Aptphilly completed a nice double for me|
|Martin Garcia on the Kentucky Oaks|
champ Plum Pretty
|They're Off in the CCAO!|
|Kiaran McLaughlin really likes his "nice filly."|
Time to send it in with a little Rev Run...because, you know, It's Tricky.