RSS Feed for this Blog
RSS Feed for all TBA Posts

Monday, May 16, 2011

Mondays are for Mudders

I forayed into unchartered territory today when I fulfilled a request made several months ago by Fort Erie Race Track media maven, Elissa Blowe. I met her last winter when I took a trip over the Peace Bridge to interview her for a story about the Fort's new RaceBook for The News. She asked me if I wanted to be her co-host and guest handicapper on one of the simulcasts during the coming season. I accepted and she contacted me last month and we decided on today for my TV debut.

I did my homework and prepared for the probable off track, doing my handicapping and making notes on Saturday night so I wouldn't embarrass her during my camera time. I watched Sunday's races in the slop so I had a beat on the track. I watched replays of some of my selections.

The comedy factor was high, at least. I commented that it looked like one trainer was "just looking to pick up a check" and I picked against (threw out) the all-time favorite Fort Erie horse.  It was a great experience and I can say straight out, that it is a very difficult job. I have newfound respect for the guys and gals on TV who do it for a living. I'd like to try it again though, now that I know what to expect. I really appreciated the opportunity.

The bonus of the day was that I was able to sit with a group of gentlemen from Woodbine and the Daily Racing Form for the remainder of the day in the Turfside Terrace. Not a bad way to spend an afternoon. They had some great stories and we talked about the Queen's Plate and Canadian racing as a whole while playing the ponies and having a beverage or two.

My weekend handicapping was a tad better than on Monday. I entered both the 10-race TVG NHC Contest and the 8-race Equibase Handicapping Challenge, both online contests. I finished 170th out of approximately 3,300 in the NHC contest with $81.50 (ROI $4.08).  Not too shabby.  I was really sniffing it in the Equibase contest where I finished 10th overall out of approximately 1,600 contestants, picking four winners and two placings. My big pick was Every Ego, a 25-1 winner where my win bet was capped at $42 in both contests. My Equibase contest total was $111.70 (ROI $6.98). I was in 9th going into the last race at Hollywood, but my first time starter Magic School broke badly and then recovered late for third. A good one to file away for his next race.

We have a busy rest of the week with a Thursday Sports, Ink blog on the Black-Eyed Susan; a Preakness advance Friday for The Buffalo News; we'll do our annual Black Eyed Susan Dey blog here Friday; Live Blog from Pimlico at Sports, Ink on Saturday; and wrap with a Sunday column in The News.

Hope to see you in Baltimore!


bill.cleary said...

Where's the video clip? Have fun this weekend.

Amateurcapper said...

Great handicapping Geno!

Best of luck this weekend and I'm looking forward to your features.


blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online