RSS Feed for this Blog
RSS Feed for all TBA Posts

Monday, May 16, 2011

Mondays are for Mudders

I forayed into unchartered territory today when I fulfilled a request made several months ago by Fort Erie Race Track media maven, Elissa Blowe. I met her last winter when I took a trip over the Peace Bridge to interview her for a story about the Fort's new RaceBook for The News. She asked me if I wanted to be her co-host and guest handicapper on one of the simulcasts during the coming season. I accepted and she contacted me last month and we decided on today for my TV debut.

I did my homework and prepared for the probable off track, doing my handicapping and making notes on Saturday night so I wouldn't embarrass her during my camera time. I watched Sunday's races in the slop so I had a beat on the track. I watched replays of some of my selections.

The comedy factor was high, at least. I commented that it looked like one trainer was "just looking to pick up a check" and I picked against (threw out) the all-time favorite Fort Erie horse.  It was a great experience and I can say straight out, that it is a very difficult job. I have newfound respect for the guys and gals on TV who do it for a living. I'd like to try it again though, now that I know what to expect. I really appreciated the opportunity.

The bonus of the day was that I was able to sit with a group of gentlemen from Woodbine and the Daily Racing Form for the remainder of the day in the Turfside Terrace. Not a bad way to spend an afternoon. They had some great stories and we talked about the Queen's Plate and Canadian racing as a whole while playing the ponies and having a beverage or two.

My weekend handicapping was a tad better than on Monday. I entered both the 10-race TVG NHC Contest and the 8-race Equibase Handicapping Challenge, both online contests. I finished 170th out of approximately 3,300 in the NHC contest with $81.50 (ROI $4.08).  Not too shabby.  I was really sniffing it in the Equibase contest where I finished 10th overall out of approximately 1,600 contestants, picking four winners and two placings. My big pick was Every Ego, a 25-1 winner where my win bet was capped at $42 in both contests. My Equibase contest total was $111.70 (ROI $6.98). I was in 9th going into the last race at Hollywood, but my first time starter Magic School broke badly and then recovered late for third. A good one to file away for his next race.

We have a busy rest of the week with a Thursday Sports, Ink blog on the Black-Eyed Susan; a Preakness advance Friday for The Buffalo News; we'll do our annual Black Eyed Susan Dey blog here Friday; Live Blog from Pimlico at Sports, Ink on Saturday; and wrap with a Sunday column in The News.

Hope to see you in Baltimore!

2 Comments:

Unknown said...

Where's the video clip? Have fun this weekend.

Amateurcapper said...

Great handicapping Geno!

Best of luck this weekend and I'm looking forward to your features.

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online