RSS Feed for this Blog
RSS Feed for all TBA Posts

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

D'oh: Belated Recap

Who am I?

A) Trainer Michelle Nihei after the Marathon

B) Everyone who wagered on Life at Ten

C) Trevor Denman ready to make a lifetime signature call

D) The gate crew in the Juvenile Fillies Turf

E) Jaycito's connections after watching the turn into the backstretch

F) Me, after Shared Account nipped Midday at the wire = totally wrecking my Pick-3.

G) All of the Above

Man, was that quite a weekend. My serious recap for The Buffalo News is here. My not-so-serious recap is here. As in, right here.

I've taken a few days to reflect on the events that occurred in Louisville, Kentucky this past weekend. I was sitting in my neighborhood bar this evening to pick up a couple steak sammys for the Space Gal and I, and overheard not one, but two conversations talking about the Classic and the terrific race that was. Not only did the ratings triple versus the 2009 edition, but people continue to talk about that awesome stretch run by the great Zenyatta. It truly was a thing of beauty. I actually said to the Space Gal..."holy sh!t she's gonna win," during her dramatic drive to reach the wire ahead of the solid and steady Blame. As Patrick eloquently stated in yesterday's Paulick-worthy post, we saw a gear we've never seen before....and what a gear it was.

Horse of the Year, you say is the next debate. Quibble away pundits....I'll go back to reading the latest AJ Jacobs novel (hilarious, by the way) I really couldn't be bothered. Then again, MLB's Golden Gloves were awarded yesterday and I ignored those, too. I'd rather get excited about the Cigar Mile and the Clark Handicap, thank you very much.

One thing that's kind of been lost through this whole, Queen Z thingy, is that one Garret Gomez, got the monkey off his back. Well, maybe not the Derby monkey, but a large chimpanzee. He won a big one, and he beat back Martin Garcia and Lookin at Lucky in the stretch, the mount he was taken off of after the Run for the Roses. I say big congrats to GoGo...it must feel great. A few weeks prior he was feuding with trainer Michael Maker when he refused to mount a horse that just didn't seem right. I obviously don't know all of the facts, but I have new found respect for Gomez, and am really happy he finally got that big W. I've always been a GoGo fan back to my first Derby visit in 2006....a TC race is next....

Wonder if Workforce had a nice flight home? Hope he didn't pay for the expedited passport...

I'd rather peeps (and tweeps) would start talking about her trying Dubai in March (on the synth!)...now that would be a decent discussion. No retirement announcement yet....I can see Jerry do a little globetrottin' with the Big Z...you'd turn the Middle East upside down....

C'mon J-Moss....turn on the red light...

3 Comments:

Alan H. said...

Good stuff. What language is that 48 Hours clip in?

Gene Kershner said...

Thanks Alan.

That's Goldikova of course.

The_Knight_Sky said...

Who am I?

You're not Zipse.
And you're not Calvin.

For that I am grateful.

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online