RSS Feed for this Blog
RSS Feed for all TBA Posts

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Whitney Memories

My last Whitney Handicap visit at the Spa was in 2006, when the Saratoga Resident and I pulled the Whitney-Haskell double over a boys weekend. My good fortunes had me working in Albany and New Jersey on the bookends of the trip and worked into the perfect racing weekend voyage. I took this picture of the famous Spa jockeys fountain of the 2005 winner Commentator's statue that beautiful summer day in August 2006.

We saw soon to be BC Classic champ Invasor hold off Sun King by a nose, with West Virginia (at 16-1) coming in third. I mention WV only because I was three deep on a big Grand Slam ticket that day and sure would've loved to see West Virginia win it (not that I didn't cash on Invasor). But I digress. The big question is will we be seeing another foreshadowing today of this year's BC Classic champion in Quality Road or Blame (or even the ever present Musket Man) like we did in 2006?

I can't see QR getting beat today, although they don't run the races on paper and the late running style of Blame (and the weight break) is enough cause for concern. My plays for today's Whitney:

$5 Tri: Quality Road over Blame and Musket Man (3/2,6) = $10
$2 Tri: Quality Road over Blame, Musket Man over Haynesfield (3/2,6/4) = $4

Good luck to all.

The Toga Party has two points in play this weekend....the Whitney (where most contestants have selected either QR or Blame) and the Crazy Eights day....Sunday 8/8's number of winners for the 8 horse. This is where we separate the laundry and see who will be taking the lead at the half mile marker.....

Just for old times sake...here's the 2006 Whitney with it's exciting head bob finish....

1 Comment:

Tony Bada Bing said...

Geno,

Was at the Spa, the day Sun King missed by the slimmest of noses, had $50 on him to win at 13-1, I do believe. One of my toughest beats...

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online