RSS Feed for this Blog
RSS Feed for all TBA Posts

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Channeling Ward Cleaver

Was there a better TV dad than Ward Cleaver? Don't even think about Mike Brady. I'll give ya Fred Sanford, but not Tom Bradford. Ward was all about discipline. Wally and Beav couldn't get away with anything without going through Ward. Dad's are pretty cool. Mine taught me how to make a bank shot off the square, take a lead off first base and hit a sand shot. He taught me how to love sports and how to run a down and out. I wouldn't know how to play a hand of pinochle or tie a knot without him. Some of my most memorable sports events I've attended were with my dad. They're almost too lengthy to mention. He showed up to every single college hoop game I ever played (even when I rode the pine my freshman year). They don't make dad's like that anymore. I hope I can be remembered as half the dad he is. I hope you get to celebrate yours today.


- Interesting poll on the right sidebar (a collaborative effort between the TBA and The Knight Sky Racing Blog) which asks if/when the Big Race will happen. After 123 votes, 63% say we won't see it happen this year, I tend to agree. Norm at TKS continues to put out quality polls, you can see the results of past polls at this link over at the TBA site.


- The TBA sponsored Handicappers' Corner over at ThoroFan has been a success so far based on feedback from the ThoroFan powers that be. The weekly race of the week handicapped by a different TBA blogger each week has been a lot of fun to follow and you can even learn a thing or two from fellow handicappers. This week, the Michigan-Bred Claimer nailed his second consecutive HC winner with Lady Shakespeare. Next week the Quinella Queen will tackle the quinella possibilities in the Iowa Derby at her new home track.

- As for my handicapping forays, I had been in a deep funk. I can't tell you how many times I've been live in the last leg of a Pick 3 or Pick 4 only to finish second or get nipped at the wire. It happened again yesterday as I was live (on a $4 ticket) in a Pick 3 into Go Go Pink at Monmouth on to be beat in the stretch and out the $200 will pay. But my hoops background (and my dad) always told me "sometimes you have to shoot yourself out of it." So I took a shot at the MTH Late Pick 4 and nailed it with Rose Catherine singled in the third leg and a late insertion of Afleet Express in the Pegasus. I was live to two nice paying tickets in the finale with Riley Jayde and Kat's Mystery, who finished 1-2 (ding dong the slump is dead).

- Speaking of Afleet Express, I'm looking forward to seeing both him and Golden Itiz , winner of yesterday's Affirmed at Hollyrock, this summer. The late blooming 3 year olds are always fun to watch.

- Saw the Secretariat trailer last night at the movies. It seems the movie's focus is going to be mainly on Ms. Chenery based on what I viewed last night. Any movie with John Malkovich has my attention, let alone a horse racing themed movie. I'm looking forward to it and with the Disney juggernaut involved, I imagine the marketing for it will be top notch.

- Upcoming Space Invasions: 1) a Tuesday afternoon at Fort Erie with the good folks from the University at Buffalo athletic department; 2) Queen's Plate on the 4th of July; 3) Jim Dandy weekend at the Spa and; (4) my inaugural Finger Lakes appearance (yes, this year I think it may actually happen)

Have a great father's day to all the dads out there...

0 Comments:

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online