RSS Feed for this Blog
RSS Feed for all TBA Posts

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Derby Trials and Tribulations

It's not everyday you get to present in front of a Hall of Fame Quarterback, and receive thanks for the work you do for his charity so it's been a pretty good day up here in the frozen tundra.

But I digress, as there is a big race on the horizon and plenty of news surrounding it.....so here goes...

- Jon Court meet Shaft. I don't know why this is bothering me so much, other than the fact that Court was one of the main characters in the "Jockeys" reality show, and it always seemed like he never could catch a break. So now he has a chance to have his first Derby mount and John Sadler decides to go back to his homeboy Raf Bejarano on Line of David. Whatever happened to going home with the girl you brought to the dance? I know there's a number of arguments against this....I just feel bad for him. He must be crushed.

- The Derby Trial, which I attended last year, with no impact on the 09 Kentucky Derby, could have a huge impact as three (count 'em, three) horses will attempt to crack the Top 20 in graded stakes by winning the $200K Grade 3 race on opening day at Churchill Downs. The three horses, Eightyfiveinafifty (Contessa/Dominguez/$120K earnings), Pleasant Prince (Ward/Leparoux/$166K) and Drosselmeyer (Mott/Desormeaux/$87K) all could pick up the first place graded winnings (~ $140K). Pleasant Prince would vault into 18th and into the gate, the other two obviously need defections, injuries, etc. to crack the gate on May 1st.

- We may have a filly joining the fray, and yet another Pletcher horse. Maybe he feels she has a better chance in the Derby than the Oaks?

- I've updated my Derby Spreadsheet with Devil May Care and the three aforementioned Derby Trial horses, be sure to check it out on the right sidebar. Make sure you also check out the TBA Morning Line spreadsheet and what's shakin' over there.

- This year I'm going dark before the Derby, I'm going to try and stay away from reading other people's opinions and just focus on my own bad handicapping and my gut feelings on the race. Too many times I read what others are writing or thinking and it biases my thought process. So I'll go down on my own this year, thank you. (Easier said than done)

I love that Eightfiveinafifty's dam is Lifeinthefastlane. TKS...this one's for you...

5 Comments:

tencentcielo said...

A couple of little things. The purse is 200,000 ADDED, so it's possible that the purse could be $225,000 or something.

Also, the winner gets 62%, not 60% of the purse.

Here is the condition book for Churchill. The Derby Trial is on page 2. http://www.churchilldowns.com/sites/churchilldowns.com/files/cdbook1spring10_0.pdf

suebroux said...

Going dark before the Derby, Spaceman? Good luck! I think the Knights of Columbus website might be "Derby-free" ;)

The_Knight_Sky said...

LOL. Truly LOL !!

You know I have been a fan of Eightfiveinafifty but I would have never associated that with an Eagles video. Guess I'm living in a Life of Illusion.

But what an album from 1977!
And what a summer that was. I have loved Henley and the boys for the longest time.

Eager for action and hot for the game
The coming attraction, the drop of a name
They knew all the right people, they took all the right pills
They threw outrageous parties, they paid heavenly bills.


BTW. I hope you didn't give Jim Kelly "da business" the way "number 99 on the defense" of the Jets once did. (Actually it was 93 Marty Lyons, so Ben Dreith should have gotten 5 yards right there. ;-)

Unknown said...

I don't get why ANYONE would want run the week before the Derby to get into the Derby, especially 85ina50, who would have absolutely zero shot going 10 furlongs

The_Knight_Sky said...

Ernie -

You know I love guys who go against conventional wisdom. Gary Contessa has been known to wheel back successfully throughout his career. So this would be nothing new to him.

That said, I'm against Eightyfiveinafifty running in The Derby. He's been playing catch up all spring thanks to Mr. Migliore
and I'm not at all sure 1 1/4 miles would be best for his career given the major early pace types signed up for the event.

Here's hoping cooler heads will prevails.

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online