RSS Feed for this Blog
RSS Feed for all TBA Posts

Sunday, September 6, 2009

The Other Big Race Yesterday

While most of the racing fans in New York State were watching a certain filly hold off a West Point Thoroughbred, my boys and I were on hand to watch Sonia "the Black Widow" Thomas defend her title in the Wing Eating Championship at Coca-cola Field in Buffalo, NY at the eighth annual National Wing Festival. Thomas won the twelve minute eating frenzy downing 169 chicken wings (3.38 pounds) holding off several national level challengers. Good times and high drama, indeed.

Of course, we timed our visit so we could make it home in time to watch the Woodward on TVG. Our living room was rocking during the stretch drive as my nine year old was jumping up and down rooting her to the finish line. The SpaceBro was in town and it was cool to watch history with your sibling and the rest of the family cheering her on. The only horse that I thought could beat her (before the race) was Macho Again, and the early pace scenario dictated he would be right there to challenge at the wire. He has really developed in to one fine race horse. One thing I noticed more than usual is the whipping that Borel was doing to her to get her to the wire. That was definitely her most strenuous race of the year. I can't imagine her bouncing back too quickly from that one. Nice to see history though.

Lost as a minor footnote and afterthought in Rachel's shadow yesterday (see last line of ESPN's article) was Pyro winning his first Grade I, with a win in the seven furlong Forego over the uber-consistent Kodiak Kowboy. It's really a shame that the Breeders' Cup is at Santa Anita, as I would love to see him try the Dirt Mile. But his assistant trainer Rick Mettee stated after the race, “The Breeders’ Cup being on synthetic changes the game completely. I wouldn’t completely rule it out, but I’m not sure.”

The only other race I watched yesterday was the stretch run of Mother Russia's win in the Peerless Springs Stakes for Obviously NY Stable. These guys, as previously mentioned here, are totally on fire. They go for 3 for 3 on the weekend at Finger Lakes tomorrow with Hook Me Up in $150K Lady Finger Stakes (race 7). While my first thoughts were to go to Fort Erie tomorrow, maybe a trip east up the thruway is in order...

Unless, of course, I'm in the mood for a few more wings.....

0 Comments:

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online