RSS Feed for this Blog
RSS Feed for all TBA Posts

Monday, July 20, 2009

Flashbacks

I'm out of it lately when it comes to racing. I've had only one focus with respect to racing but I'll get to that later in the post. I've been under the weather still...summer colds sure do suck. I can't seem to get my bearings and have been treading water over the past two weeks with respect to life in general. Maybe it's just a summer lull, but nothing has really got me juiced about racing and everyone seems to be whining about everything from suspensions to slots. I guess I'm just not that into you anymore, racing. Yet, I can't quit you. Give me that spark, that little something...

I have been having flashbacks though, probably due to the 40th anniversary of the Apollo 11 landing which eerily followed the death of the man who announced it to us live, the iconic Walter Cronkite. As a boy growing up, you remember things, like being in 3rd grade and the AV guy (Captain Video) rolls in the big black & whites so we could watch the lunar landing in class. Captain Kangaroo seems to be popping up in my flashbacks too. Maybe due to the resemblance to Cronkite. Scary huh?

But it's less than 10 days to opening day at Saratoga and I'm going to make a full out attempt at the 3:59 (look for some updated road rules next week) as G-Money and I will be descending on the Saratoga Resident's residence (say that 5x fast) for Wednesday and Thursday's racing and a revenge golf match with the Puma. I am working on a Saratoga contest (similar to last year) with some new quirks and items - this year I won't make you pick the Travers winner in July!

Ok, so here's my racing obsession. I've stopped gambling until opening day, taking a break and just focusing on handicapping contests until then. It's paid off so far as I sit in 26th place in the Survival at the Shore at Monmouth with one life preserver in tact. The contest started with over 4,300 entrants and we're down to 312. Survive through July 29th and another life preserver can be had. I'm still a bit away from the top 3 spots, but the top 10 is in sniffing distance. I'm going to keep up my current strategy and just try to outlast the others without trying to go big, that can wait until mid to late August. Approximately 60 players fell off on Saturday when it was a tough day for chalk, wherein I still had a 2nd and a 3rd, so my capping has been pretty solid. Fingers crossed.

2 Comments:

Unknown said...

Feel better

You're the only racing blogger in history to have labeled Captain Kangaroo.

JB said...

Captain Kangaroo and Mr. Greenjeans... kinda the Carson and McMahon of morning television. Get your rest. Tip off is next Wednesday and you're in the starting line up.

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online