RSS Feed for this Blog
RSS Feed for all TBA Posts

Friday, September 26, 2008

Sloppy Saturday



With the races called off today at Belmont due to the weather, it looks like the forecast has a big 'ole wet weekend in store for the East Coast. I'm thinking we may just pass on the PSU-Illini game and watch it from the comfort from my in-laws couch (and get to watch Belmont and OSA's late races on my computer).

I entered the TVG Handicapping contest (thanks to Foolish Pleasure for alerting me to this one and last week's BrisNet challenge) the next two weekends, but alas, it looks like a polycapping contest and a wet Belmont. There are four Turfway races (5-8), two Belmont races (9,11) and four from Oak Tree-Santa Anita (races 8-11). Yikes. I guess it's good practice nonetheless. This is a great opportunity to practice handicapping the polytrack with the Breeders Cup being just a month away. Go here to bet on Breeders’ Cup and all of this weekend's races.

Here's a shout out to the Puma for two big winners on Thursday afternoon at Belmont. I guess it pays to play golf with some of the owners. 15-1 Vladimira ($33.40) and JT Moore ($7.70) cashed in big for the Puma. Vladimira was a classic route/sprint angle (great chapter in Bet with the Best 2:Longshots on this angle btw) who had run at a 1 mile and 3/16ths last time out and was shortened to the sprint distance to 6 furlongs. I have been looking for this more in my handicapping lately, to see the distance and place of the horse shortening up at the 6 furlong call....it works.

Anyways...off to Altoona and a Nittany Lion weekend...things looking up there with the big SoCal loss last night to a team PSU totally trounced three weeks ago....Go Curlin, if he wins I'm betting Jess Jackson (who seems to have the best interest of the sport at heart) will enter him in the Classic - it is $3M to the winner too...and you know he can handle a sloppy track (see: Monmouth 27Oct07).

7 Comments:

Anonymous said...

I am going to be trying to find a tv/radio/something so i can see the Curlin race while attending the Toronto FC game.

My Liverpool play Everton in a huge game in the morning and then TFC in the afternoon. This is almost a too good sports weekend! Sounds like yours is just as full.

I like the Curlin with Mambo exactor tomorrow and maybe throw in a big longshot if the track is a mess.

Valerie Grash said...

For that big longshot, may I strongly suggest Stones River? If Wanderin Boy provides a fast early pace, this 3-year-old half-brother of Unbridled Belle will make an explosive late run. And he loves the slop....

Gene Kershner said...

Keith: I think Val has given us the key to the castle! Good luck and enjoy the matches!

Val: Interesting choice..i also like Timber Reserve noting recent works and I think Mambo may bounce...

Thanks for reading.

Gene Kershner said...

Yep..Timber Reserve scratched...i see Stones River is 3 for 3 on off tracks..hmmm..

Valerie Grash said...

Ah, not enough pace to run at for Stones River. Plus, he's very green yet. Being in the slop near the rail wasn't ideal either. Looks like he got fifth behind Mambo in Seattle. Good race for Curlin, but...Zenyetta totally kicked Hystericalady's ass in Cali so I'm still convinced she is the best horse in America.

Anonymous said...

No worries Valerie...i've added Stones River to my stable watch and will keep an eye on him. That's a difficult track for any horse and I think Wandering Boy was just lucky to get away clear on such a slow pace. Not a drop of mud on him!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that Puma is sharp!!

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online