RSS Feed for this Blog
RSS Feed for all TBA Posts

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Time to Get a Grip

As usual, horse racing is behind the major sports, it just took it's racing journalists eight months to start bashing the blogs. Buzz took the first shots back in April on Costas Now. At least Moran didn't use Hitler in his analogies like Bill Conlin of the Philly Daily News did when describing us pampheteers.

How does all of this affect me? Absolutely zero. Not a bit. Posts have been written ad nauseum regarding this topic (including this one, sorry...LOL) and people just have to get a grip. Bloggers aren't trying to replace journalists, nor do they want to be journalists, and they should laugh off Moran's article like I did. I could care less if I have a press pass (although I heard the food is good in the press box) or the scoop to some breaking story. Not my gig. I am a fan, I like to share my thoughts and experiences with others, unbiased and unedited (I think that might be the definition of a blog?). If people read, great. If not, who cares. Do I look at my statistics? Sure I do, but this blog doesn't pay my bills and since some people (and I thank you) actually do read what I write, I continue. I love handicapping (regardless of my lack of talent in this area), I love watching the horses run, I love to know more about the business side of things, and I love the thrill of the game. But most importantly, I don't and will never perceive myself to be a journalist. Do I go on the backstretch with a pad of paper and a pencil seeking out trainers, jockeys, etc. for the latest? No, again not my gig...that's for someone else to do that can do it better than I and maybe even get compensated for it. I do this because I have a passion for the game, that's it, plain and simple. And it's not always about horse racing, because man, life is too short to be boxed into one topic, which is why I like to read about Alan's take on NY politics, Patrick's twitters from the Devils game (Sabres rule, Devils drool) just as much as someone's trip to Turf Paradise or Golden Gate Fields.

One thing that the old media has to realize is that the internet (and whatever new technology will follow that) provides instant information and that the print media is going to eventually die a slow death, a la the horse and buggy. For example, The New York Times (gasp) is currently in deep financial trouble. Change is inevitable in life, how you handle it is how one is defined. I always point towards the Four Agreements. It's a good way to look at how you live and how one handles adversity. Some people thrash out at others with blame and anger over their own issues, I say follow Agreement #2 and don't take it personally. Don't worry what others say, it's their issue they are upset about, not yours. There are some great bloggers and writers out there, both on the TBA homepage, the Paulick Report and at the traditional sites like the Bloodhorse. Read what you want and enjoy it, whether it's a journalist, a blogger, or a half-wit like me. If you don't enjoy it, don't read it. It's actually quite simple. Do what makes you happy and good things will follow.

Like now, I'm going to grab a couple steaks for tonight, some wood for the fire, grab the PP's for Aqueduct, watch some football and racing simultaneously and enjoy some time with my wife. There you have it.

9 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Would you say those sprints up and down the stairs are done Handily or Breezing?

-Wind Gatherer

John said...

Well said, Moran might be off his medication.

Patrick J Patten said...

Sabres? Lifetime of misery, no wonder you're nuts. ;-D

The Turk said...

The voice of reason, very well said. Enjoy those steaks and enjoy your Sunday. The Turk and the Little Turk are doing almost the exact same thing. Go Sabres!

SaratogaSpa said...

It all comes down to money. The internet will drastically bring down the pay scale for writers and they are very pissed. I know how they feel, my grandfather was an ice delivery man ..and than came refrigerators on the scene.

Colins Ghost said...

Amen! Well said...

Alan Mann said...

well put!

Anonymous said...

YIKES---Conlin

Darkness falls on a proud community of veteran turf writers. Should we man up and find the sympathy in our hearts?

G. Rarick said...

Uh, as a current blogger and former journalist, I can tell you salaries didn't have far to fall. Damn straight the New York Times is in trouble - that's why I jumped ship last February, while the water was still warmed by a good buyout instead of chilled by pending bankruptcy...

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online